A Utility Based Approach to Energy Hedging
A key issue in the estimation of energy hedges is the hedgers’ attitude towards risk which is encapsulated in the form of the hedgers’ utility function. However, the literature typically uses only one form of utility function such as the quadratic when estimating hedges. This paper addresses this issue by estimating and applying energy market based risk aversion to commonly applied utility functions including log, exponential and quadratic, and we incorporate these in our hedging frameworks. We find significant differences in the optimal hedge strategies based on the utility function chosen.
|Date of creation:||02 Mar 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Arts Annexe, Belfield, Dublin 4|
Phone: +353 1 7164615
Fax: +353 1 7161108
Web page: http://www.ucd.ie/geary/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cotter, John & Hanly, Jim, 2010.
"Time-varying risk aversion: An application to energy hedging,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 432-441, March.
- John Cotter & Jim Hanly, 2011. "Time Varying Risk Aversion: An Application to Energy Hedging," Papers 1103.5968, arXiv.org.
- John Cotter & Jim Hanly, 2010. "Time Varying Risk Aversion: An Application to Energy Hedging," Working Papers 201007, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Regnier, Eva, 2007. "Oil and energy price volatility," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 405-427, May.
- Kroner, Kenneth F. & Sultan, Jahangir, 1993. "Time-Varying Distributions and Dynamic Hedging with Foreign Currency Futures," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(04), pages 535-551, December.
- Robert M. Townsend, .
"Risk and Insurance in Village India,"
University of Chicago - Population Research Center
91-3a, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Brandt, Michael W. & Wang, Kevin Q., 2003. "Time-varying risk aversion and unexpected inflation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(7), pages 1457-1498, October.
- Alberto Giovannini & Philippe Jorion, 1988.
"The Time-Variation of Risk and Return in the Foreign Exchange and Stock Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
2573, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giovannini, Alberto & Jorion, Philippe, 1989. " The Time Variation of Risk and Return in the Foreign Exchange and Stock Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(2), pages 307-25, June.
- Eric Ghysels & Pedro Santa-Clara & Rossen Valkanov, 2004.
"There is a Risk-Return Tradeoff After All,"
NBER Working Papers
10913, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F & Lilien, David M & Robins, Russell P, 1987. "Estimating Time Varying Risk Premia in the Term Structure: The Arch-M Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 391-407, March.
- Ederington, Louis H, 1979. "The Hedging Performance of the New Futures Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(1), pages 157-70, March.
- K. C. Chen & R. Stephen Sears & Dah‐Nein Tzang, 1987. "Oil prices and energy futures," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(5), pages 501-518, October.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Robert E. Cumby & Stephen Figlewski, 1986.
"Estimation of the optimal futures hedge,"
Research Working Paper
86-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-31, February.
- David Cabedo, J. & Moya, Ismael, 2003. "Estimating oil price 'Value at Risk' using the historical simulation approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 239-253, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucd:wpaper:201106. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geary Tech)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.