Hedging Effectiveness under Conditions of Asymmetry
We examine whether hedging effectiveness is affected by asymmetry in the return distribution by applying tail specific metrics to compare the hedging effectiveness of short and long hedgers using crude oil futures contracts. The metrics used include Lower Partial Moments (LPM), Value at Risk (VaR) and Conditional Value at Risk (CVAR). Comparisons are applied to a number of hedging strategies including OLS and both Symmetric and Asymmetric GARCH models. Our findings show that asymmetry reduces in-sample hedging performance and that there are significant differences in hedging performance between short and long hedgers. Thus, tail specific performance metrics should be applied in evaluating hedging effectiveness. We also find that the Ordinary Least Squares (OLS) model provides consistently good performance across different measures of hedging effectiveness and estimation methods irrespective of the characteristics of the underlying distribution.
|Date of creation:||07 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Arts Annexe, Belfield, Dublin 4|
Phone: +353 1 7164615
Fax: +353 1 7161108
Web page: http://www.ucd.ie/geary/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Conrad, Jennifer & Gultekin, Mustafa N & Kaul, Gautam, 1991. "Asymmetric Predictability of Conditional Variances," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(4), pages 597-622.
- Demirer, Riza & Lien, Donald, 2003. "Downside risk for short and long hedgers," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 25-44.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Robert E. Cumby & Stephen Figlewski, 1986.
"Estimation of the optimal futures hedge,"
Research Working Paper
86-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Peter de Goeij, 2004. "Modeling the Conditional Covariance Between Stock and Bond Returns: A Multivariate GARCH Approach," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 2(4), pages 531-564.
- Fishburn, Peter C, 1977. "Mean-Risk Analysis with Risk Associated with Below-Target Returns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(2), pages 116-26, March.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-31, February.
- de Goeij, P. C. & Marquering, W., 2004. "Modeling the conditional covariance between stock and bond returns : A multivariate GARCH approach," Other publications TiSEM 94fe5ada-715a-4339-b94c-f, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- GIOT, Pierre & LAURENT, Sébastien, 2001.
"Value-at-risk for long and short trading positions,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2001022, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pierre Giot & Sébastien Laurent, 2003. "Value-at-risk for long and short trading positions," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(6), pages 641-663.
- GIOT, Pierre & LAURENT, Sébastien, . "Value-at-Risk for long and short trading positions," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1707, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pierre Giot and S»bastien Laurent, 2001. "Value-At-Risk For Long And Short Trading Positions," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 94, Society for Computational Economics.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- John Cotter & Jim Hanly, 2011.
"Re-evaluating Hedging Performance,"
200518, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Ederington, Louis H, 1979. "The Hedging Performance of the New Futures Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(1), pages 157-70, March.
- Robert F. Engle & Victor K. Ng, 1991.
"Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility,"
NBER Working Papers
3681, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F & Ng, Victor K, 1993. " Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1749-78, December.
- Chris Brooks & Olan T. Henry & Gita Persand, 2002. "The Effect of Asymmetries on Optimal Hedge Ratios," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(2), pages 333-352, April.
- Kroner, Kenneth F. & Sultan, Jahangir, 1993. "Time-Varying Distributions and Dynamic Hedging with Foreign Currency Futures," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(04), pages 535-551, December.
- Wayne Y. Lee & Ramesh K. S. Rao, 1988. "Mean Lower Partial Moment Valuation and Lognormally Distributed Returns," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(4), pages 446-453, April.
- Lien, Donald & Wilson, Bradley K., 2001. "Multiperiod hedging in the presence of stochastic volatility," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 395-406.
- Bekaert, Geert & Wu, Guojun, 2000.
"Asymmetric Volatility and Risk in Equity Markets,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(1), pages 1-42.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan & David E. Runkle, 1993.
"On the relation between the expected value and the volatility of the nominal excess return on stocks,"
157, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi & Runkle, David E, 1993. " On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1779-1801, December.
- Price, Kelly & Price, Barbara & Nantell, Timothy J, 1982. " Variance and Lower Partial Moment Measures of Systematic Risk: Some Analytical and Empirical Results," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(3), pages 843-55, June.
- Lien, Donald & Tse, Y K, 2002. " Some Recent Developments in Futures Hedging," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 357-96, July.
- Demirer, Riza & Lien, Donald & Shaffer, David R., 2005. "Comparisons of short and long hedge performance: the case of Taiwan," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 51-66, February.
- Bawa, Vijay S., 1975. "Optimal rules for ordering uncertain prospects," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 95-121, March.
- Lien, Donald, 2005. "The use and abuse of the hedging effectiveness measure," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 277-282.
- Baillie, Richard T & Myers, Robert J, 1991. "Bivariate GARCH Estimation of the Optimal Commodity Futures Hedge," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(2), pages 109-24, April-Jun.
- Carol Alexander & Andreza Barbosa, 2005. "The Spider in the Hedge," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2005-05, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Donald Lien & Yiu Kuen Tse, 2000. "Hedging downside risk with futures contracts," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 163-170.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucd:wpaper:200843. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geary Tech)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.