Downside risk and the energy hedger's horizon
In this paper, we explore the impact of investor time-horizon on an optimal downside hedged energy portfolio. The optimal heating oil hedge ratio is first calculated for a variety of downside risk objective functions at different time-horizons using the wavelet transform. Next, associated hedging effectiveness is contrasted for a range of risk metrics, with all metrics showing increasing hedging effectiveness at longer horizons. Moreover, decreased hedging effectiveness is demonstrated for increased levels of uncertainty at higher confidence intervals. While small differences in effectiveness are found across the different hedging objectives, time-horizon effects are found to dominate confirming the importance of the hedging horizon. The findings suggest that while downside risk measures are useful in determining an optimal futures hedge encompassing negative returns, hedging horizon and confidence intervals should also be given careful consideration by the energy hedger.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Turvey, Calum G. & Nayak, Govindaray, 2003. "The Semivariance-Minimizing Hedge Ratio," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(01), April.
- Ederington, Louis H, 1979. "The Hedging Performance of the New Futures Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(1), pages 157-70, March.
- Naccache, Théo, 2011. "Oil price cycles and wavelets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 338-352, March.
- John Cotter & Jim Hanly, 2011.
"A Utility Based Approach to Energy Hedging,"
201106, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Rua, António & Nunes, Luís C., 2009.
"International comovement of stock market returns: A wavelet analysis,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 632-639, September.
- António Rua & Luís Catela Nunes, 2009. "International comovement of stock market returns: a wavelet analysis," Working Papers w200904, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Thomas Conlon & John Cotter, 2012.
"An empirical analysis of dynamic multiscale hedging using wavelet decomposition,"
Journal of Futures Markets,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 32(3), pages 272-299, 03.
- Thomas Conlon & John Cotter, 2011. "An Empirical Analysis of Dynamic Multiscale Hedging using Wavelet Decomposition," Working Papers 201104, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Thomas Conlon & John Cotter, 2011. "An Empirical Analysis of Dynamic Multiscale Hedging using Wavelet Decomposition," Papers 1103.4943, arXiv.org.
- Adam, Alexandre & Houkari, Mohamed & Laurent, Jean-Paul, 2008. "Spectral risk measures and portfolio selection," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1870-1882, September.
- Cotter, John & Hanly, Jim, 2010.
"Time-varying risk aversion: An application to energy hedging,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 432-441, March.
- John Cotter & Jim Hanly, 2010. "Time Varying Risk Aversion: An Application to Energy Hedging," Working Papers 201007, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- John Cotter & Jim Hanly, 2011. "Time Varying Risk Aversion: An Application to Energy Hedging," Papers 1103.5968, arXiv.org.
- Bertsimas, Dimitris & Lauprete, Geoffrey J. & Samarov, Alexander, 2004. "Shortfall as a risk measure: properties, optimization and applications," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1353-1381, April.
- Kuang-Liang Chang, 2011. "The optimal value-at-risk hedging strategy under bivariate regime switching ARCH framework," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(21), pages 2627-2640.
- David Cabedo, J. & Moya, Ismael, 2003. "Estimating oil price 'Value at Risk' using the historical simulation approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 239-253, May.
- Louis Ederington & Jae Ha Lee, 2002. "Who Trades Futures and How: Evidence from the Heating Oil Futures Market," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(2), pages 353-374, April.
- Babak Eftekhari, 1998. "Lower partial moment hedge ratios," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(6), pages 645-652.
- René M. Stulz, 1996. "Rethinking Risk Management," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 9(3), pages 8-25.
- Francis In & Sangbae Kim, 2006. "The Hedge Ratio and the Empirical Relationship between the Stock and Futures Markets: A New Approach Using Wavelet Analysis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(2), pages 799-820, March.
- Ming-Chih Lee & Jui-Cheng Hung, 2007. "Hedging for multi-period downside risk in the presence of jump dynamics and conditional heteroskedasticity," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(18), pages 2403-2412.
- Chris Brooks & Olan T. Henry & Gita Persand, 2002. "The Effect of Asymmetries on Optimal Hedge Ratios," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(2), pages 333-352, April.
- Sadorsky, Perry, 2000. "The empirical relationship between energy futures prices and exchange rates," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 253-266, April.
- Gencay, Ramazan & Selcuk, Faruk & Whitcher, Brandon, 2005. "Multiscale systematic risk," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 55-70, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:eneeco:v:36:y:2013:i:c:p:371-379. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.