Oil Volatility and the Option Value of Waiting: An analysis of the G-7
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Don Bredin & John Elder & Stilianos Fountas, 2011. "Oil volatility and the option value of waiting: An analysis of the G‐7," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 31(7), pages 679-702, July.
- Don Bredin & John Elder & Stilianos Fountas, 2010. "Oil Volatility and the Option Value of Waiting: An analysis of the G-7," Discussion Paper Series 2010_05, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Apr 2010.
References listed on IDEAS
- Hamilton, James D., 1996. "This is what happened to the oil price-macroeconomy relationship," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 215-220, October.
- Bergin, Paul R. & Glick, Reuven, 2007.
"Global price dispersion: Are prices converging or diverging?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 703-729, September.
- Paul R. Bergin & Reuven Glick, 2006. "Global price dispersion: are prices converging or diverging?," Working Paper Series 2006-50, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Charles Chang & Hazem Daouk & Albert Wang, 2009. "Do investors learn about analyst accuracy? A study of the oil futures market," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(5), pages 414-429, May.
- Majd, Saman & Pindyck, Robert S., 1987.
"Time to build, option value, and investment decisions,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 7-27, March.
- Saman Majd & Robert S. Pindyck, 1985. "Time to Build, Option Value, and Investment Decisions," NBER Working Papers 1654, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lutz Kilian, 2008. "The Economic Effects of Energy Price Shocks," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 46(4), pages 871-909, December.
- Fountas, Stilianos & Karanasos, Menelaos, 2007.
"Inflation, output growth, and nominal and real uncertainty: Empirical evidence for the G7,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 229-250, March.
- Stilianos Fountas & Menelaos Karanasos, 2002. "Inflation, Output Growth, and Nominal and Real Uncertainty: Empirical Evidence for the G7," Working Papers 0064, National University of Ireland Galway, Department of Economics, revised 2002.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Hamilton, James D., 2003. "What is an oil shock?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 363-398, April.
- Kiseok Lee & Shawn Ni & Ronald A. Ratti, 1995. "Oil Shocks and the Macroeconomy: The Role of Price Variability," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 39-56.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Peter Ferderer, J., 1996. "Oil price volatility and the macroeconomy," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-26.
- Knut Anton Mork, 1994. "Business Cycles and the Oil Market," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 15-38.
- Lorne N. Switzer & Mario El‐Khoury, 2007. "Extreme volatility, speculative efficiency, and the hedging effectiveness of the oil futures markets," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(1), pages 61-84, January.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Chang, Charles & Daouk, Hazem & Wang, Albert, 2008. "Do Investors Learn About Analyst Accuracy?," Working Papers 51158, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Mork, Knut Anton, 1989. "Oil and Macroeconomy When Prices Go Up and Down: An Extension of Hamilton's Results," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 740-744, June.
- Alberto Moel, 2002. "When Are Real Options Exercised? An Empirical Study of Mine Closings," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(1), pages 35-64, March.
- Peter E. Kennedy & John Elder, 2001. "F versus t tests for unit roots," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(3), pages 1-6.
- Brennan, Michael J, 1990. " Latent Assets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(3), pages 709-730, July.
- Pagan, Adrian, 1984. "Econometric Issues in the Analysis of Regressions with Generated Regressors," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(1), pages 221-247, February.
- John Elder & Peter E. Kennedy, 2001. "Testing for Unit Roots: What Should Students Be Taught?," The Journal of Economic Education, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(2), pages 137-146, January.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mehmet Balcilar & Zeynel Abidin Ozdemir, 2017. "The nexus between the oil price and its volatility in a stochastic volatility in mean model with time-varying parameters," Working Papers 15-33, Eastern Mediterranean University, Department of Economics.
- repec:eee:eneeco:v:72:y:2018:i:c:p:331-340 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hachula, Michael & Hoffmann, Sebastian, 2015. "The output effects of commodity price volatility: Evidence from exporting countries," Discussion Papers 2015/29, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- John Elder, Hong Miao, and Sanjay Ramchander, 2013. "Jumps in Oil Prices: The Role of Economic News," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3).
- Van Robays, Ine, 2012.
"Macroeconomic uncertainty and the impact of oil shocks,"
Working Paper Series
1479, European Central Bank.
- Ine Van Robays, 2012. "Macroeconomic Uncertainty and the Impact of Oil Shocks," CESifo Working Paper Series 3937, CESifo Group Munich.
- repec:eee:joecas:v:10:y:2013:i:1:p:10-20 is not listed on IDEAS
- Li, Lei & Yin, Libo & Zhou, Yimin, 2016. "Exogenous shocks and the spillover effects between uncertainty and oil price," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 224-234.
- Thiem, Christopher, 2017. "Oil price uncertainty and the business cycle: Accounting for the influences of global supply and demand within a VAR GARCH-in-mean framework," Ruhr Economic Papers 674, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Stilianos Fountas & Panagiota Karatasi & Paraskevi Tzika, 2018.
"Economic Policy Uncertainty in Greece: Measuring Uncertainty for the Greek Macroeconomy,"
South-Eastern Europe Journal of Economics,
Association of Economic Universities of South and Eastern Europe and the Black Sea Region, vol. 16(1), pages 80-92.
- Stilianos Fountas & Panagiota Karatasi & Paraskevi Tzika, 2018. "Economic Policy Uncertainty in Greece: Measuring Uncertainty for the Greek Macroeconomy," Discussion Paper Series 2018_05, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Apr 2018.
- Libo Yin, 2016. "Does oil price respond to macroeconomic uncertainty? New evidence," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 51(3), pages 921-938, November.
- repec:eco:journ1:2017-02-16 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chi-Wei SU & Zong-Liang YAO & Hsu-Ling CHANG, 2016. "The relationship between output and asset prices: A time – and frequency – varying approach," Theoretical and Applied Economics, Asociatia Generala a Economistilor din Romania - AGER, vol. 0(1(606), S), pages 57-76, Spring.
- Ine Van Robays, 2016. "Macroeconomic Uncertainty and Oil Price Volatility," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 78(5), pages 671-693, October.
- Soojin Jo, 2012. "The Effects of Oil Price Uncertainty on the Macroeconomy," Staff Working Papers 12-40, Bank of Canada.
- Wei Kang & David Penn & Joachim Zietz, 2015. "The response of state employment to oil price volatility," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer;Academy of Economics and Finance, vol. 39(3), pages 478-500, July.
- Mamothoana Difeto & Reneé van Eyden & Rangan Gupta & Mark E. Wohar, 2018. "Oil Price Volatility and Economic Growth: Evidence from Advanced OECD Countries using over One Century of Data," Working Papers 201813, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- David Mueller, 2016. "The right to choose: political decisions and environmental investments," International Journal of Innovation and Sustainable Development, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 10(3), pages 219-236.
More about this item
KeywordsOil; Volatility; Vector autoregression; Multivariate GARCH-in-Mean VAR;
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
- G3 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-04-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2010-04-17 (Business Economics)
- NEP-ENE-2010-04-17 (Energy Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucd:wpaper:201004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geary Tech). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/geucdie.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.