The Dynamics of Art Prices: The Selection Corrected Repeat-Sales Index
The repeat-sales model controls quality by utilizing the transacted prices of the same items in di.erent time periods. However, this methodology suffers from non-randomness of the data, implying that a sample based only on repeat-sales items may not represent the population of properties. To address this potential problem, the Heckman two-stage procedure has been applied to a sample of Picasso prints over the period 1988-1995 as registered in the 1995 edition of the Mayer International Auction Records on CD-ROM. Empirical evidence shows that the selection corrected repeat-sales model yields substantially better goodness of fit than the estimated standard repeat-sales specification.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- R. Carter Hill & J. R. Knight & C. F. Sirmans, 1997. "Estimating Capital Asset Price Indexes," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(2), pages 226-233, May.
- Hwang, Min & Quigley, John M., 2003.
"Selectivity, Quality Adjustment and Mean Reversion in the Measurement of House Values,"
Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series
qt4045q0v3, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Min Hwang & John M. Quigley, 2004. "Selectivity, Quality Adjustment and Mean Reversion in the Measurement of House Values," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 28(2_3), pages 161-178, 03.
- Munneke, Henry J & Slade, Barrett A, 2000. "An Empirical Study of Sample-Selection Bias in Indices of Commercial Real Estate," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 45-64, July.
- Locatelli-Biey, Marilena & Zanola, Roberto, 2003.
"The market for Picasso prints: an hybrid model approach,"
POLIS Working Papers
34, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Marilena Biey & Roberto Zanola, 2005. "The Market for Picasso Prints: A Hybrid Model Approach," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 127-136, May.
- Kathryn Graddy & Orley Ashenfelter, 2002.
"Auctions and the Price of Art,"
Economics Series Working Papers
131, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Donald R. Haurin & Patric H. Hendershott, 1991. "House Price Indexes: Issues and Results," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(3), pages 259-269.
- Case, Bradford & Quigley, John M, 1991. "The Dynamics of Real Estate Prices," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 50-58, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uca:ucapdv:76. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucia Padovani)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.