The Market for Picasso Prints: A Hybrid Model Approach
Two basic approaches have been used by the literature focusing on the return to holding artistic works: the hedonic price model and the repeat-sales model. This paper provides a procedure for jointly estimating the two models in a way that take advantages of the unique information contained in each. A semiannual price index for Picasso prints is estimated by using a model derived from the basic framework of the hybrid models. The empirical results suggest that the hybrid model provides the most precisely estimated price index by reducing the level of price volatility. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, Inc. 2005
Volume (Year): 29 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.culturaleconomics.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/10824/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier Chanel & Louis-André Gérard-Varet & Victor Ginsburgh, 1996.
"The relevance of hedonic price indices,"
Journal of Cultural Economics,
Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 20(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Orley Ashenfelter & Kathryn Graddy, 2002.
"Art Auctions: A Survey of Empirical Studies,"
NBER Working Papers
8997, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Orley Ashenfelter & Kathryn Graddy, 2002. "Art Auctions: A Survey of Empirical Studies," Working Papers 121, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Center for Economic Policy Studies..
- Ashenfelter, Orley C & Graddy, Kathryn, 2002. "Art Auctions: A Survey of Empirical Studies," CEPR Discussion Papers 3387, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Orley Ashenfelter & Kathryn Graddy, 2003.
"Auctions and the Price of Art,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 41(3), pages 763-787, September.
- Case, Bradford & Quigley, John M, 1991. "The Dynamics of Real Estate Prices," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 50-58, February.
- Marvin L. Wolverton & Jimmy Senteza, 2000. "Hedonic Estimates of Regional Constant Quality House Prices," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 19(3), pages 235-253.
- R. Carter Hill & J. R. Knight & C. F. Sirmans, 1997. "Estimating Capital Asset Price Indexes," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(2), pages 226-233, May.
- J. R. Knight & Jonathan Dombrow & C. F. Sirmans, 1995. "A Varying Parameters Approach to Constructing House Price Indexes," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 23(2), pages 187-205.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jculte:v:29:y:2005:i:2:p:127-136. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.