Investment in Paintings: A Short-Run Price Index
This paper analyses the performance of a speculative investment in paintings during the period 1987–1995 by applying a modified repeat sales technique to a sample of 1446 repeat sales. Since this period is characterised by a boom and a non-boom sub-period, a price risk term is introduced to estimate influences that only affect a painting's value upon its sale, by isolating shocks that can cause realised returns to stray from expectations. The main finding is that from 1987 to 1991 an investment in paintigs performs well if compared with alternative forms of investment, such as U.S. stocks, U.S. 30 year government bonds and gold; by contrast, from 1992 to 1995 returns are lower, with the exception of 1993. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1999
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 23 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.culturaleconomics.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/10824/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goetzmann, William N & Spiegel, Matthew, 1995.
"Non-temporal Components of Residential Real Estate Appreciation,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 77(1), pages 199-206, February.
- Goetzmann, W.N. & Spiegel, M., 1992. "Non-temporal Components of Residential Real Estate Appreciation," Papers 92-20, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Buelens, Nathalie & Ginsburgh, Victor, 1993. "Revisiting Baumol's 'art as floating crap game'," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 1351-1371, October.
- BUELENS, Nathalie & GINSBURGH, Victor, "undated". "Revisiting Baumol's `art as floating crap game'," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1063, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Nathalie Buelens & Victor Ginsburgh, 1993. "Revisiting Baumol's Art as floating crap game," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/1727, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Ginsburgh, V. & Buelens, N., 1992. "Revisiting Baumol's "Art As Floating Crap Game"," Papers 9204, Universite Libre de Bruxelles - C.E.M.E..
- V. Ginsburgh & A.-F. Penders, 1997. "Land Artists and Art Markets," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 21(3), pages 219-228, September.
- Victor Ginsburgh & Anne-Françoise Penders, 1997. "Land artists and art markets," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/99276, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- R. Carter Hill & J. R. Knight & C. F. Sirmans, 1997. "Estimating Capital Asset Price Indexes," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(2), pages 226-233, May.
- G. Candela & A. Scorcu, 1997. "A Price Index for Art Market Auctions," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 21(3), pages 175-196, September.
- Anderson, Robert C, 1974. "Paintings as an Investment," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 12(1), pages 13-26, March.
- Olivier Chanel & Louis-André Gérard-Varet & Victor Ginsburgh, 1996. "The relevance of hedonic price indices," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 20(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Chanel, O. & Gérard-Varet, L.-A. & Ginsburgh, V., "undated". "The relevance of hedonic price indices," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1222, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Case, Bradford & Quigley, John M, 1991. "The Dynamics of Real Estate Prices," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 50-58, February.
- Goetzmann, William N, 1993. "Accounting for Taste: Art and the Financial Markets over Three Centuries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1370-1376, December.
- Pesando, James E, 1993. "Art as an Investment: The Market for Modern Prints," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1075-1089, December.
- Stein, John Picard, 1977. "The Monetary Appreciation of Paintings," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(5), pages 1021-1035, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)