Investment in Paintings: A Short-Run Price Index
This paper analyses the performance of a speculative investment in paintings during the period 1987–1995 by applying a modified repeat sales technique to a sample of 1446 repeat sales. Since this period is characterised by a boom and a non-boom sub-period, a price risk term is introduced to estimate influences that only affect a painting's value upon its sale, by isolating shocks that can cause realised returns to stray from expectations. The main finding is that from 1987 to 1991 an investment in paintigs performs well if compared with alternative forms of investment, such as U.S. stocks, U.S. 30 year government bonds and gold; by contrast, from 1992 to 1995 returns are lower, with the exception of 1993. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1999
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 23 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.culturaleconomics.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/10824/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Case, Bradford & Quigley, John M, 1991. "The Dynamics of Real Estate Prices," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 50-58, February.
- Goetzmann, William N, 1993. "Accounting for Taste: Art and the Financial Markets over Three Centuries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1370-1376, December.
- Goetzmann, William N & Spiegel, Matthew, 1995.
"Non-temporal Components of Residential Real Estate Appreciation,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 77(1), pages 199-206, February.
- Goetzmann, W.N. & Spiegel, M., 1992. "Non-temporal Components of Residential Real Estate Appreciation," Papers 92-20, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Nathalie Buelens & Victor Ginsburgh, 1993.
"Revisiting Baumol's Art as floating crap game,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/1727, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- BUELENS, Nathalie & GINSBURGH, Victor, "undated". "Revisiting Baumol's `art as floating crap game'," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1063, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ginsburgh, V. & Buelens, N., 1992. "Revisiting Baumol's "Art As Floating Crap Game"," Papers 9204, Universite Libre de Bruxelles - C.E.M.E..
- Victor Ginsburgh & Anne-Françoise Penders, 1997.
"Land artists and art markets,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/99276, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Chanel, O. & Gérard-Varet, L.-A. & Ginsburgh, V., "undated".
"The relevance of hedonic price indices,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1222, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pesando, James E, 1993. "Art as an Investment: The Market for Modern Prints," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1075-1089, December.
- Stein, John Picard, 1977. "The Monetary Appreciation of Paintings," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(5), pages 1021-1035, October.
- R. Carter Hill & J. R. Knight & C. F. Sirmans, 1997. "Estimating Capital Asset Price Indexes," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(2), pages 226-233, May.
- G. Candela & A. Scorcu, 1997. "A Price Index for Art Market Auctions," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 21(3), pages 175-196, September.
- Anderson, Robert C, 1974. "Paintings as an Investment," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 12(1), pages 13-26, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jculte:v:23:y:1999:i:3:p:209-219. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.