Hedonic Estimates of Regional Constant Quality House Prices
It is has been shown that regional housing price indexes reported by the National Association of Realtors (NAR) misstate price change over time due to failure to control for variation in housing quality. However, the erroneous assumption that implicit housing characteristic prices are invariant across regions of the United States may also bias regional constant quality hedonic price indexes. This study shows that housing characteristic prices derived from NAR data do vary significantly by region. It then compares regional price indexes, which do and do not control for regional variation in housing characteristic prices, to demonstrate the biasing effect.
Volume (Year): 19 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joe Peek & James A. Wilcox, 1991.
"The Measurement and Determinants of Single-Family House Prices,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(3), pages 353-382.
- Joe Peek & James A. Wilcox, 1991. "The measurement and determinants of single-family house prices," Working Papers 91-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Gatzlaff, Dean H. & Haurin, Donald R., 1998. "Sample Selection and Biases in Local House Value Indices," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 199-222, March.
- Patric H. Hendershott & Thomas G. Thibodeau, 1990. "The Relationship between Median and Constant Quality House Prices: Implications for Setting FHA Loan Limits," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 18(3), pages 323-334.
- Michaels, R. Gregory & Smith, V. Kerry, 1990. "Market segmentation and valuing amenities with hedonic models: The case of hazardous waste sites," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 223-242, September.
- Goetzmann, William N & Spiegel, Matthew, 1995.
"Non-temporal Components of Residential Real Estate Appreciation,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 77(1), pages 199-206, February.
- Goetzmann, W.N. & Spiegel, M., 1992. "Non-temporal Components of Residential Real Estate Appreciation," Papers 92-20, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Jesse M. Abraham & William S. Schauman, 1991. "New Evidence on Home Prices from Freddie Mac Repeat Sales," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(3), pages 333-352.
- John M. Clapp & Carmelo Giaccotto & Dogan Tirtiroglu, 1991. "Housing Price Indices Based on All Transactions Compared to Repeat Subsamples," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(3), pages 270-285.
- J. R. Knight & Jonathan Dombrow & C. F. Sirmans, 1995. "A Varying Parameters Approach to Constructing House Price Indexes," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 23(2), pages 187-205.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
- Mills, Edwin S. & Simenauer, Ronald, 1996. "New Hedonic Estimates of Regional Constant Quality House Prices," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 209-215, March.
- Black, Roy T & Wolverton, Marvin L. & Warden, John T. & Pittman, Robert H., 1997. "Manufacturing versus Distribution: Implicit Pricing of Real Property Characteristics by Submarket," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 271-285, November.
- Case, Bradford & Quigley, John M, 1991. "The Dynamics of Real Estate Prices," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 50-58, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:19:n:3:2000:p:235-253. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.