Private Road Supply in Networks with Heterogeneous Users
We study different mixes of private and public supply of roads in a network with bottleneck congestion and heterogeneous users. In our setting, there are two parallel links for one origin and destination pair and two groups of travellers, where the group with higher value of time also has higher schedule delay value. Previously scholars have argued that as travellers become more heterogeneous, they benefit more from product differentiation, and thus private supply of roads becomes more efficient. However, we find that local monopoly power might also increase, i.e. the private supplier can increase the toll on his link without worrying that travellers will move to the other link. This can undermine the efficiency of private supply of roads. The problem is especially severe with flat tolls, where travellers in equilibrium tend to travel on separate roads. With queue-eliminating tolls, however, both types tend to travel on both roads in equilibrium, and the competition between road providers remains relatively intense.
|Date of creation:||20 Feb 2017|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Gustav Mahlerplein 117, 1082 MS Amsterdam|
Phone: +31 (0)20 598 4580
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- AndrÊ de Palma & Robin Lindsey, 2000. "Private toll roads: Competition under various ownership regimes," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 34(1), pages 13-35.
- Lindsey, Robin & de Palma, André, 2014.
"Cost recovery from congestion tolls with long-run uncertainty,"
Economics of Transportation,
Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 119-132.
- Robin Lindsey & André De Palma, 2013. "Cost Recovery from Congestion Tolls with Long-run Uncertainty," Working Papers hal-00784299, HAL.
- Robin Lindsey & André De Palma, 2014. "Cost recovery from congestion tolls with long-run uncertainty," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-01311130, HAL.
- d'Ouville, Edmond L. & McDonald, John F., 1990. "Effects of demand uncertainty on optimal capacity and congestion tolls for urban highways," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 63-70, July.
- Wu, Di & Yin, Yafeng & Yang, Hai, 2011. "The independence of volume-capacity ratio of private toll roads in general networks," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 96-101, January.
- Wang, Judith Y.T. & Lindsey, Robin & Yang, Hai, 2011. "Nonlinear pricing on private roads with congestion and toll collection costs," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 9-40, January.
- Lindsey, Robin & Wang, Judith & Yang, Hai, 2010. "Nonlinear Pricing on Private Roads with Congestion and Toll Collection Costs," Working Papers 2010-3, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Verhoef, Erik T., 2007. "Second-best road pricing through highway franchising," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 337-361, September.
- Erik T. Verhoef, 2005. "Second-best Road Pricing Through Highway Franchising," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-082/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Arnott, Richard & de Palma, Andre & Lindsey, Robin, 1996. "Information and Usage of Free-Access Congestible Facilities with Stochastic Capacity and Demand," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 37(1), pages 181-203, February.
- Erik T. Verhoef, 2008. "Private Roads: Auctions and Competition in Networks," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 42(3), pages 463-493, September.
- Kraus, Marvin, 1982. "Highway pricing and capacity choice under uncertain demand," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 122-128, July.
- F. H. Knight, 1924. "Some Fallacies in the Interpretation of Social Cost," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 38(4), pages 582-606.
- De Vany, Arthur & Saving, Thomas R, 1980. "Competition and Highway Pricing for Stochastic Traffic," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(1), pages 45-60, January.
- De Vany, Arthur S & Saving, Thomas R, 1977. "Product Quality, Uncertainty, and Regulation: The Trucking Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(4), pages 583-594, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tin:wpaper:20170025. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tinbergen Office +31 (0)10-4088900)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.