The independence of volume-capacity ratio of private toll roads in general networks
In a general traffic network under some widely used assumptions, this paper proves that the level of service, represented by the volume-capacity (v/c) ratio, offered by a profit-maximizing private firm on a private toll road is independent of another competitor's choice of capacity and toll rate for another private toll road. The v/c ratio will be the same as the one provided by a centralized welfare-maximizing traffic authority. Moreover, the ratio remains the same even in a regulated market where the authority imposes a cap for the generalized travel cost on the private toll road.
Volume (Year): 45 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tan, Zhijia & Yang, Hai & Guo, Xiaolei, 2010. "Properties of Pareto-efficient contracts and regulations for road franchising," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 415-433, May.
- Ubbels, Barry & Verhoef, Erik T., 2008.
"Auctioning concessions for private roads,"
Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice,
Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 155-172, January.
- Barry Ubbels & Erik Verhoef, 2004. "Auctioning Concessions for Private Roads," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-008/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Jyh-Fa Tsai & Chih-Peng Chu, 2003. "The analysis of regulation on private highway investment under a build-operate-transfer scheme," Transportation, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 221-243, May.
- Xiao, Feng & Yang, Hai & Han, Deren, 2007. "Competition and efficiency of private toll roads," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 292-308, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)