The independence of volume-capacity ratio of private toll roads in general networks
In a general traffic network under some widely used assumptions, this paper proves that the level of service, represented by the volume-capacity (v/c) ratio, offered by a profit-maximizing private firm on a private toll road is independent of another competitor's choice of capacity and toll rate for another private toll road. The v/c ratio will be the same as the one provided by a centralized welfare-maximizing traffic authority. Moreover, the ratio remains the same even in a regulated market where the authority imposes a cap for the generalized travel cost on the private toll road.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 45 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tan, Zhijia & Yang, Hai & Guo, Xiaolei, 2010. "Properties of Pareto-efficient contracts and regulations for road franchising," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 415-433, May.
- Ubbels, Barry & Verhoef, Erik T., 2008.
"Auctioning concessions for private roads,"
Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice,
Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 155-172, January.
- Barry Ubbels & Erik Verhoef, 2004. "Auctioning Concessions for Private Roads," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-008/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Jyh-Fa Tsai & Chih-Peng Chu, 2003. "The analysis of regulation on private highway investment under a build-operate-transfer scheme," Transportation, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 221-243, May.
- Xiao, Feng & Yang, Hai & Han, Deren, 2007. "Competition and efficiency of private toll roads," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 292-308, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)