The Contribution of Off-Farm Income to the Viability of Farming in Ireland
This paper reviews recent data pertaining to the Irish macro-economy and agricultural sector. The recent increase in the number of farmers and farmers’ spouses participating in the offfarm labour market is discussed. The type of employment most commonly secured by farmers and their spouses is outlined and their longer-term prospects of retaining this employment or securing additional employment is discussed. The paper also presents estimates of total farm household income and the degree to which farm households are reliant on non-farm income is established. The paper attempts to measure the contribution of off-farm income to the viability and sustainability of farm households in Ireland. The concluding sections highlights areas for potential interesting new research.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +353 91 845845
Fax: +353 91 845847
Web page: http://www.agresearch.teagasc.ie/rerc/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- FitzGerald, John & Bergin, Adele & Kearney, Ide & Barrett, Alan & Duffy, David & Garrett, Shane & McCarthy, Yvonne, 2005. "Medium-Term Review 2005-2012, No. 10," Forecasting Report, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number MTR10, December.
- Ayal Kimhi & Eliel Rapaport, 2004. "Time Allocation between Farm and Off-Farm Activities in Israeli Farm Households," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(3), pages 716-721.
- Raffaella Castagnini & Martina Menon & Federico Perali, 2004. "Extended and Full Incomes at the Household and Individual Level: An Application to Farm Households," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(3), pages 730-736.
- Woldehanna, Tassew & Lansink, Alfons Oude & Peerlings, Jack, 2000. "Off-farm work decisions on Dutch cash crop farms and the 1992 and Agenda 2000 CAP reforms," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 22(2), pages 163-171, March.
- Ashok K. Mishra & Barry K. Goodwin, 1997. "Farm Income Variability and the Supply of Off-Farm Labor," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 880-887.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Ashok K. Mishra, 2004. "Farming Efficiency and the Determinants of Multiple Job Holding by Farm Operators," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(3), pages 722-729.
- Gary S. Becker, 1981. "A Treatise on the Family," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number beck81-1, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tea:wpaper:0613. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John Lennon)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.