Can Central Bank Interventions Affect the Exchange Rate Volatility? Multivariate GARCH Approach Using Constrained Nonlinear Programming
This study examines the impact of foreign currency market interventions of the Central Bank of Turkey (CBT) in a multivariate GARCH framework. CBT has switched to the floating exchange rate regime since 2001 crisis and announced that the interventions in the foreign exchange markets are aimed at reducing the volatility of the USD/YTL and EUR/YTL. However the literature documents that, foreign exchange interventions lead to an increase in exchange rate volatility. In an attempt to calculate the volatility, we employ a bivariate GARCH estimation with non-linear constrained optimization (NLP)  and BEKK  on the USD/YTL and EUR/YTL. Our results shed some doubt about the efficiency of these interventions in stabilizing the Turkish Lira market.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (90 312) 507 5000
Fax: (90 312) 507 5640
Web page: http://www.tcmb.gov.tr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- BEINE, Michel & BOS, Charles S. & LAURENT, Sébastien, .
"The impact of Central Bank FX interventions on currency components,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1980, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Michel Beine & Charles S. Bos & Sébastien Laurent, 2007. "The Impact of Central Bank FX Interventions on Currency Components," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 5(1), pages 154-183.
- Michel Beine & Charles Bos & Sébastien Laurent, 2007. "The impact of Central Bank FX interventions on currency components," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/10419, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 2001.
"Official Intervention in the Foreign Exchange Market: Is It Effective, and, If So, How Does It Work?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2690, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mark P. Taylor & Lucio Sarno, 2001. "Official Intervention in the Foreign Exchange Market: Is It Effective and, If So, How Does It Work?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(3), pages 839-868, September.
- Kawakatsu, Hiroyuki, 2006. "Matrix exponential GARCH," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 95-128, September.
- Kim, Suk-Joong & Kortian, Tro & Sheen, Jeffrey, 2000. "Central bank intervention and exchange rate volatility -- Australian evidence," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 381-405, December.
- repec:fth:sydnec:99-05 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michael Frenkel & Christian Pierdzioch & Georg Stadtmann, 2003.
"The Effects of Japanese Foreign Exchange Market Interventions on the Yen/U.S. Dollar Exchange Rate Volatility,"
Kiel Working Papers
1165, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Frenkel, Michael & Pierdzioch, Christian & Stadtmann, Georg, 2005. "The effects of Japanese foreign exchange market interventions on the yen/U.S. dollar exchange rate volatility," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 27-39.
- Weiss, Andrew A., 1986. "Asymptotic Theory for ARCH Models: Estimation and Testing," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(01), pages 107-131, April.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Dominguez, Kathryn M., 1998. "Central bank intervention and exchange rate volatility1," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 161-190, February.
- Ozge Akinci & Olcay Yucel Culha & Umit Ozlale & Gulbin Sahinbeyoglu, 2005. "Causes and Effectiveness of Foreign Exchange Interventions for the Turkish Economy," Working Papers 0505, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Ozge Akinci & Olcay Yucel Culha & Umit Ozlale & Gulbin Sahinbeyoglu, 2005. "The Effectiveness of Foreign Exchange Interventions for the Turkish Economy : A Post-Crisis Period Analysis," Working Papers 0506, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-31, February.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Osterberg, William P., 1997. "Why do central banks intervene?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 909-919, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tcb:wpaper:0806. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ozlem Ekmekciler Ramalho Rocha)or (Ilker Cakar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.