Testing for marginal asymmetry of weakly dependent processes
This article addresses the issue of testing for asymmetry of the marginal law of weakly dependent processes. A modified quantile-based symmetry test is considered. The test has an intuitive interpretation, it is easy and fast to calculate, follows a standard limiting distribution, and much importantly, it is robust against weak dependence of observations and outliers. The finite sample performance of the robust test is examined via Monte Carlo experiments. An empirical application using economic indicators is provided as well.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++421/2/5787 1111
Fax: ++421/2/6787 1100
Web page: http://www.nbs.sk/en/publications-issued-by-the-nbs/working-papers
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Corrado, Charles J & Su, Tie, 1996.
"Skewness and Kurtosis in S&P 500 Index Returns Implied by Option Prices,"
Journal of Financial Research,
Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 19(2), pages 175-92, Summer.
- Charles J. Corrado & Tie Su, 1996. "Skewness And Kurtosis In S&P 500 Index Returns Implied By Option Prices," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 19(2), pages 175-192, 06.
- Yang, Minxian & Bewley, Ronald, 1995.
"Moving average conditional heteroskedastic processes,"
Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 367-372, October.
- Yang, M. & Bewley, R., 1992. "Moving Average Conditional Heterscedastic Processes," Papers 92-23, New South Wales - School of Economics.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Jarrow, Robert & Rudd, Andrew, 1982. "Approximate option valuation for arbitrary stochastic processes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 347-369, November.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 2008. "Uniform Convergence Rates For Kernel Estimation With Dependent Data," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(03), pages 726-748, June.
- Whitney K. Newey & Douglas G. Steigerwald, 1997. "Asymptotic Bias for Quasi-Maximum-Likelihood Estimators in Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 587-600, May.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 817-58, May.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1992. "Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation for Dependent Heterogeneous Processes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(4), pages 967-72, July.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Scott, Andrew, 1997.
"Asymmetric business cycles: Theory and time-series evidence,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 501-533, December.
- Scott, A. & Acemoglu, D., 1995. "Asymmetric Business Cycles: Theory and Time-series Evidence," Economics Series Working Papers 99173, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Nathan S. Balke & Thomas B. Fomby, 1991.
"Large shocks, small shocks, and economic fluctuations: outliers in macroeconomic times series,"
9101, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Balke, Nathan S & Fomby, Thomas B, 1994. "Large Shocks, Small Shocks, and Economic Fluctuations: Outliers in Macroeconomic Time Series," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(2), pages 181-200, April-Jun.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2005.
"Tests for Skewness, Kurtosis, and Normality for Time Series Data,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 49-60, January.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2001. "Tests for Skewness, Kurtosis, and Normality for Time Series Data," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 501, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Turan G. Bali, 2003. "An Extreme Value Approach to Estimating Volatility and Value at Risk," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 76(1), pages 83-108, January.
- Kenneth D. West & Whitney K. Newey, 1995.
"Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0144, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1994. "Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(4), pages 631-53, October.
- Sharipov, Olimjon Sh. & Wendler, Martin, 2013. "Normal limits, nonnormal limits, and the bootstrap for quantiles of dependent data," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(4), pages 1028-1035.
- Gamini Premaratne, 2005. "A Test for Symmetry with Leptokurtic Financial Data," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 3(2), pages 169-187.
- de Jong, Robert M., 2000. "A Strong Consistency Proof For Heteroskedasticity And Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(02), pages 262-268, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:svk:wpaper:1022. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.