Testing for marginal asymmetry of weakly dependent processes
This article addresses the issue of testing for asymmetry of the marginal law of weakly dependent processes. A modified quantile-based symmetry test is considered. The test has an intuitive interpretation, it is easy and fast to calculate, follows a standard limiting distribution, and much importantly, it is robust against weak dependence of observations and outliers. The finite sample performance of the robust test is examined via Monte Carlo experiments. An empirical application using economic indicators is provided as well.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++421/2/5787 1111
Fax: ++421/2/6787 1100
Web page: http://www.nbs.sk/en/publications-issued-by-the-nbs/working-papersEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 817-58, May.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- Scott, A. & Acemoglu, D., 1995.
"Asymmetric Business Cycles: Theory and Time-series Evidence,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99173, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Scott, Andrew, 1997. "Asymmetric business cycles: Theory and time-series evidence," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 501-533, December.
- repec:att:wimass:9220 is not listed on IDEAS
- Corrado, Charles J & Su, Tie, 1996.
"Skewness and Kurtosis in S&P 500 Index Returns Implied by Option Prices,"
Journal of Financial Research,
Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 19(2), pages 175-92, Summer.
- Charles J. Corrado & Tie Su, 1996. "Skewness And Kurtosis In S&P 500 Index Returns Implied By Option Prices," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 19(2), pages 175-192, 06.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1994.
"Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(4), pages 631-53, October.
- Kenneth D. West & Whitney K. Newey, 1995. "Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation," NBER Technical Working Papers 0144, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yang, M. & Bewley, R., 1992.
"Moving Average Conditional Heterscedastic Processes,"
92-23, New South Wales - School of Economics.
- Yang, Minxian & Bewley, Ronald, 1995. "Moving average conditional heteroskedastic processes," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 367-372, October.
- Balke, Nathan S & Fomby, Thomas B, 1994.
"Large Shocks, Small Shocks, and Economic Fluctuations: Outliers in Macroeconomic Time Series,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(2), pages 181-200, April-Jun.
- Nathan S. Balke & Thomas B. Fomby, 1991. "Large shocks, small shocks, and economic fluctuations: outliers in macroeconomic times series," Research Paper 9101, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 2008. "Uniform Convergence Rates For Kernel Estimation With Dependent Data," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(03), pages 726-748, June.
- Whitney K. Newey & Douglas G. Steigerwald, 1997. "Asymptotic Bias for Quasi-Maximum-Likelihood Estimators in Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 587-600, May.
- Gamini Premaratne, 2005. "A Test for Symmetry with Leptokurtic Financial Data," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 3(2), pages 169-187.
- Sharipov, Olimjon Sh. & Wendler, Martin, 2013. "Normal limits, nonnormal limits, and the bootstrap for quantiles of dependent data," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(4), pages 1028-1035.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2001.
"Tests for Skewness, Kurtosis, and Normality for Time Series Data,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
501, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2005. "Tests for Skewness, Kurtosis, and Normality for Time Series Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 49-60, January.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3108722 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1992. "Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation for Dependent Heterogeneous Processes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(4), pages 967-72, July.
- Turan G. Bali, 2003. "An Extreme Value Approach to Estimating Volatility and Value at Risk," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 76(1), pages 83-108, January.
- de Jong, Robert M., 2000. "A Strong Consistency Proof For Heteroskedasticity And Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(02), pages 262-268, April.
- Jarrow, Robert & Rudd, Andrew, 1982. "Approximate option valuation for arbitrary stochastic processes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 347-369, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:svk:wpaper:1022. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.