Testing for strict stationarity in financial variables
This paper considers the stationarity properties of a variety of financial variables using statistical tests for strict stationarity. We find that there has been a gradual shift in unconditional variances for the variables examined during the 90's and 2000's and that this is the main cause of the widespread rejection of the strict stationarity null hypothesis. This is a powerful result which suggests that the consideration of conditional mean and, especially, conditional variance models which assume stationarity is problematic for the period under examination. This casts serious doubts on the usefulness of models that assume strict stationarity and model conditional second moments, such as GARCH and stochastic volatility models.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "KPSS: RATS procedure to perform KPSS (Kwiatowski, Phillips, Schmidt, and Shin) stationarity test," Statistical Software Components RTS00100, Boston College Department of Economics.
- George Kapetanios & Elias Tzavalis, 2006. "Stochastic Volatility Driven by Large Shocks," Working Papers 568, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Li, Xiafei & Miffre, Joëlle & Brooks, Chris & O'Sullivan, Niall, 2008.
"Momentum profits and time-varying unsystematic risk,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 541-558, April.
- Xiafei Li & Chris Brooks & Joelle Miffre, 2006. "Momentum Profits and Time-Varying Unsystematic Risk," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2006-09, Henley Business School, Reading University, revised Sep 2006.
- Bart Hobijn & Philip Hans Franses & Marius Ooms, 2004. "Generalizations of the KPSS-test for stationarity," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 58(4), pages 483-502.
- Perignon, Christophe & Smith, Daniel R., 2007. "Yield-factor volatility models," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 3125-3144, October.
- Tsiakas, Ilias, 2008. "Overnight information and stochastic volatility: A study of European and US stock exchanges," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 251-268, February.
- Mazouz, Khelifa & Joseph, Nathan L. & Joulmer, Joulmer, 2009. "Stock price reaction following large one-day price changes: UK evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1481-1493, August.
- Zhijie Xiao & Luiz Renato Lima, 2007.
"Testing Covariance Stationarity,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(6), pages 643-667.
- Xiao, Zhijie & Lima, Luiz Renato Regis de Oliveira, 2006. "Testing covariance stationarity," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 632, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Giraitis, Liudas & Kokoszka, Piotr & Leipus, Remigijus & Teyssiere, Gilles, 2003. "Rescaled variance and related tests for long memory in volatility and levels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 265-294, February.
- Lee, Sangyeol & Na, Seongryong, 2004. "A nonparametric test for the change of the density function in strong mixing processes," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 25-34, January.
- Ploberger, Werner & Kramer, Walter, 1992. "The CUSUM Test with OLS Residuals," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 271-285, March.
- Leybourne, S J & McCabe, B P M, 1994. "A Consistent Test for a Unit Root," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(2), pages 157-166, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:33:y:2009:i:12:p:2346-2362. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.