Aggregate Industry Behaviour in a Monopolistic Competition Model with Heterogeneous Firms
The paper analyses how a tractable representation of productivity heterogeneity among firms modifies the standard Dixit-Stiglitz (DS) model of monopolistic competition. The properties of the asymmetric model are explored by comparative statics analysis. The equilibrium adjustments of industry aggregates, such as the number of firms, output and the productivity of variable inputs are compared with the corresponding adjustments in the symmetric model. The analysis thereby clarifies when and why the standard DS model may provide a misleading picture of the aggregate industry behaviour. A by-product of the paper is to demonstrate that a more realistic description of a basic aspect of technology heterogeneity can be taken into account at a relatively low cost in terms of reduced tractability.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+47) 21 09 00 00
Fax: (+47) 21 09 49 73
Web page: http://www.ssb.no/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tor Jakob Klette & Astrid Mathiassen, 1995.
"Job Creation, Job Destruction and Plant Turnover in Norwegian Manufacturing,"
136, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Tor Jakob KLETTE & Astrid MATHIASSEN, 1996. "Job Creation, Job Destruction and Plant Turnover in Norvegian Manufacturing," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 41-42, pages 97-125.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Montagna, Catia, 1995. "Monopolistic Competition with Firm-Specific Costs," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(2), pages 318-28, April.
- Klette, T.J., 1998.
"Market Power, Scale Economies and Productivity: Estimates from a Panel of Establishment Data,"
15/1998, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Klette, Tor Jakob, 1999. "Market Power, Scale Economies and Productivity: Estimates from a Panel of Establishment Data," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(4), pages 451-76, December.
- Leahy, Dermot & Montagna, Catia, 1997.
"Strategic Trade Policy When Firms Have Different Efficiency Levels,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1549, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- C Montagna, . "Strategic Trade Policy When Firms Have Different Efficiency Levels," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 070, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Leahy, D. & Montagna, C., 1997. "Strategic Trade Policy With Domestic Cost Asymmetries," Papers 97/27, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Erling Holmøy & Torbjørn Hægeland, 1997. "Aggregate Productivity Effects of Technology Shocks in a Model of Heterogeneous Firms: The Importance of Equilibrium Adjustments," Discussion Papers 198, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ssb:dispap:352. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J Bruusgaard)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.