From Fuel Poverty to Energy Vulnerability: The Importance of Services, Needs and Practices
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Brunner, Karl-Michael & Spitzer, Markus & Christanell, Anja, 2012. "Experiencing fuel poverty. Coping strategies of low-income households in Vienna/Austria," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 53-59.
- Raffaele Miniaci & Carlo Scarpa & Paola Valbonesi, 2008.
"Distributional Effects of Price Reforms in the Italian Utility Markets,"
Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 29(1), pages 135-163, March.
- Raffaele Miniaci & Carlo Scarpa & Paola Valbonesi, 2007. "Distributional effects of price reforms in the Italian utility markets," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0050, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Lutzenhiser, Loren, 1992. "A cultural model of household energy consumption," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 47-60.
- Goldthau, Andreas & Sovacool, Benjamin K., 2012. "The uniqueness of the energy security, justice, and governance problem," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 232-240.
- Tooraj Jamasb & Helena Meier, 2010. "Energy Spending and Vulnerable Households," Working Papers EPRG 1101, Energy Policy Research Group, Cambridge Judge Business School, University of Cambridge.
- Healy, John D. & Clinch, J. Peter, 2004. "Quantifying the severity of fuel poverty, its relationship with poor housing and reasons for non-investment in energy-saving measures in Ireland," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 207-220, January.
- Fahmy, Eldin & Gordon, David & Patsios, Demi, 2011. "Predicting fuel poverty at a small-area level in England," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 4370-4377, July.
- Strengers, Yolande, 2012. "Peak electricity demand and social practice theories: Reframing the role of change agents in the energy sector," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 226-234.
- Stephenson, Janet & Barton, Barry & Carrington, Gerry & Gnoth, Daniel & Lawson, Rob & Thorsnes, Paul, 2010. "Energy cultures: A framework for understanding energy behaviours," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 6120-6129, October.
- Sovacool, Benjamin K., 2011. "Conceptualizing urban household energy use: Climbing the "Energy Services Ladder"," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 1659-1668, March.
- Peter Heindl, 2015.
"Measuring Fuel Poverty: General Considerations and Application to German Household Data,"
FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 71(2), pages 178-215, June.
- Heindl, Peter, 2013. "Measuring fuel poverty: General considerations and application to German household data," ZEW Discussion Papers 13-046, ZEW - Leibniz Centre for European Economic Research.
- Peter Heindl, 2014. "Measuring Fuel Poverty: General Considerations and Application to German Household Data," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 632, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Lin, Boqiang & Jiang, Zhujun, 2011. "Estimates of energy subsidies in China and impact of energy subsidy reform," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 273-283, March.
- J Maryann Green & Su Erskine, 1999. "Solar (photovoltaic) systems, energy use and business activities in Maphephethe, KwaZulu-Natal," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 221-237.
- Tirado Herrero, Sergio & Ürge-Vorsatz, Diana, 2012. "Trapped in the heat: A post-communist type of fuel poverty," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 60-68.
- Hiemstra-van der Horst, Greg & Hovorka, Alice J., 2008. "Reassessing the "energy ladder": Household energy use in Maun, Botswana," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 3333-3344, September.
- Ingrid Robeyns, 2005. "The Capability Approach: a theoretical survey," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 93-117.
- Julie Cupples & Victoria Guyatt & Jamie Pearce, 2007. "â€œPut on a Jacket, You Wussâ€ : Cultural Identities, Home Heating, and Air Pollution in Christchurch, New Zealand," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 39(12), pages 2883-2898, December.
- Foster, James E, 1998. "Absolute versus Relative Poverty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 335-341, May.
- Adkins, Edwin & Eapen, Sandy & Kaluwile, Flora & Nair, Gautam & Modi, Vijay, 2010. "Off-grid energy services for the poor: Introducing LED lighting in the Millennium Villages Project in Malawi," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 1087-1097, February.
- O'Brien, Geoff & Hope, Alex, 2010. "Localism and energy: Negotiating approaches to embedding resilience in energy systems," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(12), pages 7550-7558, December.
- Urge-Vorsatz, Diana & Miladinova, Gergana & Paizs, Laszlo, 2006. "Energy in transition: From the iron curtain to the European Union," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(15), pages 2279-2297, October.
- Stefan Buzar, 2007. "When Homes Become Prisons: The Relational Spaces of Postsocialist Energy Poverty," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 39(8), pages 1908-1925, August.
- Liddell, Christine & Morris, Chris, 2010. "Fuel poverty and human health: A review of recent evidence," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 2987-2997, June.
- Roberts, Simon, 2008. "Energy, equity and the future of the fuel poor," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 4471-4474, December.
- Caterina Ruggeri Laderchi & Anne Olivier & Chris Trimble, 2013. "Balancing Act : Cutting Energy Subsidies While Protecting Affordability," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 12296, June.
- Milne, Geoffrey & Boardman, Brenda, 2000. "Making cold homes warmer: the effect of energy efficiency improvements in low-income homes A report to the Energy Action Grants Agency Charitable Trust," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(6-7), pages 411-424, June.
- Bhattacharyya, Subhes C., 2006. "Energy access problem of the poor in India: Is rural electrification a remedy?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 3387-3397, December.
- Mahama, Amadu, 2012. "2012 international year for sustainable energy for all: African Frontrunnership in rural electrification," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 76-82.
- Fouquet, Roger, 2010.
"The slow search for solutions: Lessons from historical energy transitions by sector and service,"
Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 6586-6596, November.
- Roger Fouquet, 2010. "The Slow Search for Solutions: Lessons from Historical Energy Transitions by Sector and Service," Working Papers 2010-05, BC3.
- Dube, Ikhupuleng, 2003. "Impact of energy subsidies on energy consumption and supply in Zimbabwe. Do the urban poor really benefit?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(15), pages 1635-1645, December.
- Li, Kang & Lloyd, Bob & Liang, Xiao-Jie & Wei, Yi-Ming, 2014. "Energy poor or fuel poor: What are the differences?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 68(C), pages 476-481.
- Lynne Chester, 2013. "The Failure of Market Fundamentalism," Review of Radical Political Economics, Union for Radical Political Economics, vol. 45(3), pages 315-322, September.
- Pereira, Marcio Giannini & Freitas, Marcos Aurélio Vasconcelos & da Silva, Neilton Fidelis, 2010. "Rural electrification and energy poverty: Empirical evidences from Brazil," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 1229-1240, May.
- Walker, Gordon, 2008. "Decentralised systems and fuel poverty: Are there any links or risks?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 4514-4517, December.
- Caroline L. Freund & Christine I. Wallich, 1996. "The Welfare Effects of Raising Household Energy Prices in Poland," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 53-77.
- Howden-Chapman, Philippa & Viggers, Helen & Chapman, Ralph & O’Sullivan, Kimberley & Telfar Barnard, Lucy & Lloyd, Bob, 2012. "Tackling cold housing and fuel poverty in New Zealand: A review of policies, research, and health impacts," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 134-142.
- Rudge, Janet, 2012. "Coal fires, fresh air and the hardy British: A historical view of domestic energy efficiency and thermal comfort in Britain," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 6-11.
- Campbell, B. M. & Vermeulen, S. J. & Mangono, J. J. & Mabugu, R., 2003. "The energy transition in action: urban domestic fuel choices in a changing Zimbabwe," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 553-562, May.
- Sehjpal, Ritika & Ramji, Aditya & Soni, Anmol & Kumar, Atul, 2014. "Going beyond incomes: Dimensions of cooking energy transitions in rural India," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 68(C), pages 470-477.
- Wrapson, Wendy & Devine-Wright, Patrick, 2014. "‘Domesticating’ low carbon thermal technologies: Diversity, multiplicity and variability in older person, off grid households," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 67(C), pages 807-817.
- Raffaele Miniaci & Carlo Scarpa & Paola Valbonesi, 2014. "Fuel poverty and the energy benefits system: The Italian case," IEFE Working Papers 66, IEFE, Center for Research on Energy and Environmental Economics and Policy, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy.
- Masera, Omar R. & Saatkamp, Barbara D. & Kammen, Daniel M., 2000. "From Linear Fuel Switching to Multiple Cooking Strategies: A Critique and Alternative to the Energy Ladder Model," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 2083-2103, December.
- Aune, Margrethe, 2007. "Energy comes home," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 5457-5465, November.
- Reeve, Ian & Scott, John & Hine, Donald W. & Bhullar, Navjot, 2013. "“This is not a burning issue for me”: How citizens justify their use of wood heaters in a city with a severe air pollution problem," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 204-211.
- Bouzarovski, Stefan & Petrova, Saska & Sarlamanov, Robert, 2012. "Energy poverty policies in the EU: A critical perspective," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 76-82.
- Gunningham, Neil, 2013. "Managing the energy trilemma: The case of Indonesia," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 184-193.
- Ouedraogo, Nadia S., 2013. "Energy consumption and human development: Evidence from a panel cointegration and error correction model," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 28-41.
- Saska Petrova & Michael Gentile & Ilkka Henrik MÃ¤kinen & Stefan Bouzarovski, 2013. "Perceptions of Thermal Comfort and Housing Quality: Exploring the Microgeographies of Energy Poverty in Stakhanov, Ukraine," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 45(5), pages 1240-1257, May.
- Paul Makdissi & Quentin Wodon, 2006.
"Fuel poverty and access to electricity: comparing households when they differ in needs,"
Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 1071-1078.
- Paul Makdissi & Quentin Wodon, 2001. "Fuel Poverty and Access to Electricity:\\ Comparing Households When They Differ in Needs," Cahiers de recherche 01-03, Departement d'Economique de l'École de gestion à l'Université de Sherbrooke, revised 2004.
- Bridge, Gavin & Bouzarovski, Stefan & Bradshaw, Michael & Eyre, Nick, 2013. "Geographies of energy transition: Space, place and the low-carbon economy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 331-340.
- Fankhauser, Samuel & Tepic, Sladjana, 2007. "Can poor consumers pay for energy and water? An affordability analysis for transition countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 1038-1049, February.
- Walker, Gordon & Day, Rosie, 2012. "Fuel poverty as injustice: Integrating distribution, recognition and procedure in the struggle for affordable warmth," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 69-75.
- Kaygusuz, K., 2011. "Energy services and energy poverty for sustainable rural development," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 936-947, February.
- Pachauri, S. & Mueller, A. & Kemmler, A. & Spreng, D., 2004. "On Measuring Energy Poverty in Indian Households," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2083-2104, December.
- Haanyika, Charles M., 2008. "Rural electrification in Zambia: A policy and institutional analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 1044-1058, March.
- Reister, David B. & Devine, Warren D., 1981. "Total costs of energy services," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 305-315.
- Dubois, Ute, 2012. "From targeting to implementation: The role of identification of fuel poor households," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 107-115.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Roberts, Deborah & Vera-Toscano, Esperanza & Phimister, Euan, 2015. "Fuel poverty in the UK: Is there a difference between rural and urban areas?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 87(C), pages 216-223.
- Georgi Shopov, 2016. "Energy poverty and social assistance of the energy poor people in Bulgaria," Economic Thought journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 6, pages 11-38,39-61.
- Elena Druică & Zizi Goschin & Rodica Ianole-Călin, 2019. "Energy Poverty and Life Satisfaction: Structural Mechanisms and Their Implications," Energies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 12(20), pages 1-1, October.
- María Beatriz Piderit & Susan Agurto & Laura Marín-Restrepo, 2019. "Reconciling Energy and Heritage: Retrofit of Heritage Buildings in Contexts of Energy Vulnerability," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 11(3), pages 1-1, February.
More about this item
Keywordsenergy services; energy vulnerability; energy poverty; fuel poverty; resilience; Hungary;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ENE-2015-01-09 (Energy Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sru:ssewps:2014-25. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (University of Sussex Business School Communications Team). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/spessuk.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.