Gender, class and the crisis
The aim of this work is to combine the analysis of social classes in Europe on the basis of the functional distribution of incomes with a gender perspective at household level. Building on a Classical political economy approach, we aim to explore the link between households’ sources of income (rents, profits, wages and State transfers) and income changes during the crisis. Furthermore, we emphasize the role of gender with concern to the amount of income received. The empirical investigation is carried out on the European Union Statistics onIncome and Living Conditions (EU-SILC) database, covering 620,017 households in 27 EU countries for three years (2007, 2010, 2012). Over the period 2007-2012, at household level, incomes have been differently affected by the crisis. Labour incomes have been hit hardest than capital incomes, mostly in GIPSI countries. Men-headed households have benefited from capital growth more thanwomen-headed households, characterized by lower amounts of wages, capitals and State transfers.
|Date of creation:||19 Jun 2015|
|Publication status:||Published by:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CP114/03, 42 avenue F.D. Roosevelt, 1050 Bruxelles|
Phone: +32 (0)2 650.48.64
Fax: +32 (0)2 650.41.88
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elena Bárcena-Martín & Ana I. Moro-Egido, 2013. "Gender and Poverty Risk in Europe," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 69-99, April.
- Schlenker, Eva & Schmid, Kai D., 2013.
"Capital income shares and income inequality in the European Union,"
FZID Discussion Papers
80-2013, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
- Eva Schlenker & Kai D. Schmid, 2014. "Capital income shares and income inequality in the European Union," Working Papers 329, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Eva Schlenker & Kai Daniel Schmid, 2013. "Capital Income Shares and Income Inequality in the European Union," IMK Working Paper 119-2013, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Adler, Martin & Schmid, Kai Daniel, 2013. "Factor Shares and Income Inequality. Empiral Evidence from Germany 2002 – 2008," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 133(2), pages 121-132.
- Martin Adler & Kai Daniel Schmid, 2012. "Factor Shares and Income Inequality: Empirical Evidence from Germany 2002-2008," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 460, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Martin Adler & Kai Daniel Schmid, 2012. "Factor Shares and Income Inequality - Empirical Evidence from Germany 2002-2008," IAW Discussion Papers 82, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
- Adler, Martin & Schmid, Kai Daniel, 2012. "Factor shares and income inequality - Empirical evidence from Germany 2002 - 2008," University of Tuebingen Working Papers in Economics and Finance 34, University of Tuebingen, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences.
- Cho, Yoonyoung & Newhouse, David, 2013. "How Did the Great Recession Affect Different Types of Workers? Evidence from 17 Middle-Income Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 31-50.
- Cho, Yoonyoung & Newhouse, David, 2011. "How did the great recession affect different types of workers ? evidence from 17 middle-income countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5636, The World Bank.
- Cho, Yoon Y. & Newhouse, David, 2011. "How Did the Great Recession Affect Different Types of Workers? Evidence from 17 Middle-Income Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 5681, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Thomas I. Palley, 2013. "Cambridge and neo-Kaleckian growth and distribution theory: comparison with an application to fiscal policy," Review of Keynesian Economics, Edward Elgar Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 79-104, January.
- A. B. Atkinson, 2009. "Factor shares: the principal problem of political economy?," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(1), pages 3-16, Spring.
- Marcello Signorelli & Misbah Choudhry & Enrico Marelli, 2012. "The Impact of Financial Crises on Female Labour," The European Journal of Development Research, Palgrave Macmillan;European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes (EADI), vol. 24(3), pages 413-433, July.
- Daniele Checchi & Cecilia García-Peñalosa, 2010. "Labour Market Institutions and the Personal Distribution of Income in the OECD," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 77(307), pages 413-450, 07.
- Daniele Checchi & Cecilia Garcia-PeÃ±alosa, 2005. "Labour Market Institutions and the Personal Distribution of Income in the OECD," CESifo Working Paper Series 1608, CESifo Group Munich.
- Daniele Checchi & Cecilia Garcìa-Peñalosa, 2008. "Labour market institutions and the personal distribution of income in the OECD," Working Papers halshs-00341005, HAL.
- Checchi, Daniele & García-Peñalosa, Cecilia, 2005. "Labour Market Institutions and the Personal Distribution of Income in the OECD," IZA Discussion Papers 1681, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Daniele Checchi & Cecilia García Peñalosa, 2005. "Labour Market Institutions and the Personal Distribution of Income in the OECD," UNIMI - Research Papers in Economics, Business, and Statistics unimi-1009, Universitá degli Studi di Milano.
- Eckhard Hein, 2013. "The crisis of finance-dominated capitalism in the euro area, deficiencies in the economic policy architecture, and deflationary stagnation policies," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 36(2), pages 325-354, January.
- Eckhard Hein, 2012. "The Crisis of Finance-dominated Capitalism in the Euro Area: Deficiencies in the Economic Policy Architecture and Deflationary Stagnation Policies," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_734, Levy Economics Institute.
- Anthony B. Atkinson & Andrea Brandolini, 2010. "On Analyzing the World Distribution of Income," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 24(1), pages 1-37, January.
- Anthony B. Atkinson & Andrea Brandolini, 2008. "On analysing the world distribution of income," Working Papers 97, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Anthony Barnes Atkinson & Andrea Brandolini, 2009. "On analysing the world distribution of income," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 701, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Zdravka Todorova, 2009. "Money and Households in a Capitalist Economy," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 13178.
- Caren Grown & Emcet Tas, 2010. "Gender Equality in the US Labor Markets in the "Great Recession" of 2007-2010," Working Papers 2010-15, American University, Department of Economics.
- Jill Rubery, 2013. "Public sector adjustment and the threat to gender equality," Chapters,in: Public Sector Shock, chapter 2, pages 43-83 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Rémi Bazillier & Jérôme Héricourt, 2014. "The Circular Relationship between Inequality, Leverage, and Financial Crises: Intertwined Mechanisms and Competing Evidence," Working Papers 2014-22, CEPII research center. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)