Social Capital and Repayment Performance of Group Lending in Microfinance
Conventional wisdom associates the success of microfinance group lending with joint liability only. Recent studies have pinpointed the role of social capital, around which the successful implementation of joint liability contracts seems to revolve. This paper brings together all relevant evidence on the effect of social capital on the repayment performance of microfinance group lending. I reconcile seemingly divergent views on the role of social capital by pointing out that authors measure different aspects of social capital. In particular, researchers use different proxies and different methodologies to measure social capital. I emphasize the need for a theoretical framework designed to fit social capital in the microfinance context, and I suggest avenues for future research in this field.
|Date of creation:||30 Oct 2012|
|Publication status:||Published by:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CP114/03, 42 avenue F.D. Roosevelt, 1050 Bruxelles|
Phone: +32 (0)2 650.48.64
Fax: +32 (0)2 650.41.88
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christiaan Grootaert & Thierry Van Bastelar, 2002. "Understanding and Measuring Social Capital : A Multidisciplinary Tool for Practitioners," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14098.
- La Ferrara, Eliana, 2003.
"Kin Groups and Reciprocity: A Model of Credit Transactions in Ghana,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3705, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eliana La Ferrara, 2003. "Kin Groups and Reciprocity: A Model of Credit Transactions in Ghana," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(5), pages 1730-1751, December.
- Sharma, Manohar & Zeller, Manfred, 1997. "Repayment performance in group-based credit programs in Bangladesh: An empirical analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(10), pages 1731-1742, October.
- Isabelle Agier & Ariane Szafarz, 2013.
"Subjectivity in Credit Allocation to Micro-Entrepreneurs: Evidence from Brazil,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/148889, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Isabelle Agier & Ariane Szafarz, 2013. "Subjectivity in credit allocation to micro-entrepreneurs: evidence from Brazil," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 263-275, June.
- Isabelle Agier & Ariane Szafarz, 2011. "Subjectivity in Credit Allocation to Micro-Entrepreneurs: Evidence from Brazil," Working Papers CEB 11-016, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Dean S. Karlan, 2005.
"Using Experimental Economics to Measure Social Capital and Predict Financial Decisions,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(5), pages 1688-1699, December.
- Dean Karlan, 2004. "Using experimental economics to measure social capital and predict financial decisions," Artefactual Field Experiments 00074, The Field Experiments Website.
- Besley, T. & Coate, S., 1991.
"Group Lending, Repayment Incentives And Social Collateral,"
152, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Besley, Timothy & Coate, Stephen, 1995. "Group lending, repayment incentives and social collateral," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 1-18, February.
- Glaeser, Edward Ludwig & Laibson, David I. & Scheinkman, Jose A. & Soutter, Christine L., 2000.
4481497, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Wydick, Bruce, 1999. "Can Social Cohesion Be Harnessed to Repair Market Failures? Evidence from Group Lending in Guatemala," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(457), pages 463-75, July.
- Gregorio Impavido, 1998. "Credit Rationing, Group Lending and Optimal Group Size," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(2), pages 243-260, 06.
- Niels Hermes & Robert Lensink & Habteab Mehrteab, 2006. "Does the Group Leader Matter? The Impact of Monitoring Activities and Social Ties of Group Leaders on the Repayment Performance of Group‐based Lending in Eritrea," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 18(1), pages 72-97.
- Thomas Dufhues & Gertrud Buchenrieder & Dirk G. Euler & Nuchanata Munkung, 2011. "Network Based Social Capital and Individual Loan Repayment Performance," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(8), pages 1199-1215, October.
- Godquin, Marie, 2004. "Microfinance Repayment Performance in Bangladesh: How to Improve the Allocation of Loans by MFIs," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 1909-1926, November.
- Dean S. Karlan, 2005. "Using Experimental Economics to Measure Social Capital and Predict Financial Decisions," Working Papers 182, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Research Program in Development Studies..
- van Bastelaer, Thierry & Leathers, Howard, 2006. "Trust in Lending: Social Capital and Joint Liability Seed Loans in Southern Zambia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 1788-1807, October.
- Alessandra Cassar & Luke Crowley & Bruce Wydick, 2007. "The effect of social capital on group loan repayment: evidence from field experiments," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(517), pages F85-F106, 02.
- Dufhues, Thomas & Buchenrieder, Gertrud & Quoc, Hoang Dinh & Munkung, Nuchanata, 2011. "Social capital and loan repayment performance in Southeast Asia," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 679-691.
- repec:pri:rpdevs:gamespaper.pdf is not listed on IDEAS
- Zeller, Manfred, 1998. "Determinants of Repayment Performance in Credit Groups: The Role of Program Design, Intragroup Risk Pooling, and Social Cohesion," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(3), pages 599-620, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sol:wpaper:2013/130925. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.