Tax Co-ordination in Europe: Assessing the First Years of the EU-Savings Taxation Directive
This paper reviews the economic effects of the EU Savings Taxation Directive. The Directive aims at enabling taxation of foreign interest payments received by individuals in accordance with the rules of their State of residence. The data suggest that the Directive, which is based on automatic information exchange, has not led to major shifts in international savings. However, this result has to be interpreted with caution since the available data is scarce and not always conclusive.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CP114/03, 42 avenue F.D. Roosevelt, 1050 Bruxelles|
Phone: +32 (0)2 650.48.64
Fax: +32 (0)2 650.41.88
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Keen & Jenny E. Ligthart, 2007.
"Revenue Sharing and Information Exchange under Non-discriminatory Taxation,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 109(3), pages 487-504, 09.
- Keen, M. & Ligthart, J.E., 2005. "Revenue Sharing and Information Exchange under Non-Discriminatory Taxation," Discussion Paper 2005-69, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Wolfgang Eggert & Martin Kolmar, 2004.
"The Taxation of Financial Capital under Asymmetric Information and the Tax-competition Paradox,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 106(1), pages 83-106, 03.
- Wolfgang Eggert & Martin Kolmar, 2003. "The Taxation of Financial Capital under Asymmetric Information and the Tax-Competition Paradox," CESifo Working Paper Series 1074, CESifo Group Munich.
- Philippe Bacchetta & María Espinosa, 2000. "Exchange-of-Information Clauses in International Tax Treaties," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 275-293, May.
- Harry Huizinga & Søren Bo Nielsen, .
"Withholding Taxes or Information Exchange: The Taxation of International Interest Flows,"
EPRU Working Paper Series
00-19, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Huizinga, Harry & Nielsen, Soren Bo, 2003. "Withholding taxes or information exchange: the taxation of international interest flows," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 39-72, January.
- Johannesen, Niels, 2014.
"Tax evasion and Swiss bank deposits,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 111(C), pages 46-62.
- Keen, M. & Ligthart, J.E., 2004.
"Incentives and Information Exchange in International Taxation,"
2004-54, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Michael Keen & Jenny Ligthart, 2006. "Incentives and Information Exchange in International Taxation," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 163-180, May.
- Bacchetta, P. & Paz Espinosa, M., 1992.
"Information Sharing and Tax Competition Among Governments,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
173.92, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Bacchetta, Philippe & Espinosa, Maria Paz, 1995. "Information sharing and tax competition among governments," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 103-121, August.
- Philippe Bacchetta & Maria Paz Espinosa, 1993. "Information Sharing and Tax Competition Among Governments," CEPR Financial Markets Paper 0028, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ..
- Huizinga, H.P. & Nicodeme, G., 2004.
"Are international deposits tax-driven?,"
Other publications TiSEM
661fe169-5543-452b-b6c9-e, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Jeremy Edwards & Michael Keen, 1994.
"Tax competition and Leviathon,"
IFS Working Papers
W94/07, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Lars Gläser & Martin Halla, 2006.
"Die EU-Zinsenrichtlinie: Ein Schuss in den Ofen?,"
Economics working papers
2006-14, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Fuest, Clemens & Huber, Bernd & Mintz, Jack, 2005.
"Capital mobility and tax competition,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20329, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Tina Klautke & Alfons Weichenrieder, 2008.
"Interest Income Tax Evasion, the EU Savings Directive, and Capital Market Effects,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2300, CESifo Group Munich.
- Tina Klautke & Alfons J. Weichenrieder, 2010. "Interest Income Tax Evasion, the EU Savings Directive and Capital Market Effects," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 31(1), pages 151-170, 03.
- Clemens Fuest & Bernd Huber & Jack Mintz, 2003. "Capital Mobility and Tax Competition: A Survey," CESifo Working Paper Series 956, CESifo Group Munich.
- Michael Keen & Jenny Ligthart, 2006. "Information Sharing and International Taxation: A Primer," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 81-110, January.
- Wolfgang Eggert & Martin Kolmar, 2002. "Residence-Based Capital Taxation in a Small Open Economy: Why Information is Voluntarily Exchanged and Why it is Not," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 465-482, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sol:wpaper:09-023. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.