Bargaining over Tax Information Exchange
This paper empirically studies recent treaty signings between tax havens and OECD countries as the outcome of a bargaining process over treaty form. Havens can decide not to sign an agreement, to sign a tax information exchange agreement or to sign a double taxation convention. We use a highly stylized bargaining model to develop testable hypotheses with regards to the type of agreement signed. We show that the main determinants of treaty signing are a haven's bargaining power and good governance. We show that it is easier to renegotiate an already existent treaty to include information exchange than to pressure countries with no existent agreement.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 89 24246 0
Fax: +49 89 24246 501
Web page: http://www.tax.mpg.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hong, Qing & Smart, Michael, 2010.
"In praise of tax havens: International tax planning and foreign direct investment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 82-95, January.
- Qing Hong & Michael Smart, 2006. "In praise of tax havens: International tax planning and foreign direct investment," Working Papers tecipa-265, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Qing Hong & Michael Smart, 2007. "In Praise of Tax Havens: International Tax Planning and Foreign Direct Investment," CESifo Working Paper Series 1942, CESifo Group Munich.
- Huizinga, Harry & Nicodeme, Gaetan, 2004.
"Are international deposits tax-driven,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(6), pages 1093-1118, June.
- H. Huizinga & Ga�tan Nicod�me, 2001. "Are international deposits tax-driven?," European Economy - Economic Papers 152, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Huizinga, H.P. & Nicodeme, G., 2004. "Are international deposits tax-driven?," Other publications TiSEM 661fe169-5543-452b-b6c9-e, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Huizinga, Harry & Nielsen, Soren Bo, 2003.
"Withholding taxes or information exchange: the taxation of international interest flows,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 39-72, January.
- Harry Huizinga & Søren Bo Nielsen, . "Withholding Taxes or Information Exchange: The Taxation of International Interest Flows," EPRU Working Paper Series 00-19, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Joel Slemrod & John D. Wilson, 2006.
"Tax Competition With Parasitic Tax Havens,"
NBER Working Papers
12225, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chisik, Richard & Ronald B. Davies, 2002.
"Asymmetric FDI and Tax-Treaty Bargaining: Theory and Evidence,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002
48, Royal Economic Society.
- Chisik, Richard & Davies, Ronald B., 2004. "Asymmetric FDI and tax-treaty bargaining: theory and evidence," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(6), pages 1119-1148, June.
- Ron Davies & Richard Chisik, 2004. "Asymmetric FDI and Tax-Treaty Bargaining: Theory and Evidence," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 64, Econometric Society.
- Richard Chisik & Ronald B. Davies, 2001. "Asymmetric FDI and Tax-Treaty Bargaining: Theory and Evidence"," University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers 2001-2, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 01 Jun 2002.
- Richard Chisik & Ronald B. Davies, 2010. "Asymmetric FDI and Tax-Treaty Bargaining: Theory and Evidence," Working Papers 020, Ryerson University, Department of Economics.
- May Elsayyad & Kai A. Konrad, 2010.
"Fighting Multiple Tax Havens,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3195, CESifo Group Munich.
- May Elsayyad & Kai A. Konrad, 2011. "Fighting Multiple Tax Havens," Working Papers fighting_multiple_tax_hav, Max Planck Institute for Tax Law and Public Finance.
- Elsayyad, May & Konrad, Kai A., 2012. "Fighting Multiple Tax Havens," Munich Reprints in Economics 13964, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Sophia Rabe-Hesketh & Anders Skrondal, 2012. "Multilevel and Longitudinal Modeling Using Stata, 3rd Edition," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, edition 3, number mimus2, November.
- Johannesen, Niels, 2010. "Imperfect tax competition for profits, asymmetric equilibrium and beneficial tax havens," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 253-264, July.
- Michael Keen & Jenny Ligthart, 2006.
"Incentives and Information Exchange in International Taxation,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 163-180, May.
- Keen, M. & Ligthart, J.E., 2004. "Incentives and Information Exchange in International Taxation," Discussion Paper 2004-54, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Philippe Bacchetta & María Espinosa, 2000. "Exchange-of-Information Clauses in International Tax Treaties," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 275-293, May.
- Dhammika Dharmapala, 2008.
"What problems and opportunities are created by tax havens?,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 24(4), pages 661-679, winter.
- Dhammika Dharmapala, 2008. "What Problems and Opportunities are Created by Tax Havens?," Working Papers 0820, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Bacchetta, P. & Paz Espinosa, M., 1992.
"Information Sharing and Tax Competition Among Governments,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
173.92, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Bacchetta, Philippe & Espinosa, Maria Paz, 1995. "Information sharing and tax competition among governments," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 103-121, August.
- Philippe Bacchetta & Maria Paz Espinosa, 1993. "Information Sharing and Tax Competition Among Governments," CEPR Financial Markets Paper 0028, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mpi:wpaper:bargaining_over_tax_information_exchange. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hans Mueller)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.