Tax Co-ordination in Europe: Assessing the First Years of the EU-Savings Taxation Directive
This paper reviews the economic effects of the EU Savings Taxation Directive. The Directive aims at enabling taxation of foreign interest payments received by individuals in accordance with the rules of their State of residence. The data suggest that the Directive, which is based on automatic information exchange, has not led to major shifts in international savings. However, this result has to be interpreted with caution since the available data is scarce and not always conclusive.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/index_en.htm|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- H. Huizinga & Ga�tan Nicod�me, 2001.
"Are international deposits tax-driven?,"
European Economy - Economic Papers
152, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Philippe Bacchetta & María Espinosa, 2000. "Exchange-of-Information Clauses in International Tax Treaties," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 275-293, May.
- Philippe Bacchetta & Maria Paz Espinosa, 1993.
"Information Sharing and Tax Competition Among Governments,"
CEPR Financial Markets Paper
0028, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ..
- Bacchetta, Philippe & Espinosa, Maria Paz, 1995. "Information sharing and tax competition among governments," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 103-121, August.
- Bacchetta, P. & Paz Espinosa, M., 1992. "Information Sharing and Tax Competition Among Governments," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 173.92, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Edwards, Jeremy & Keen, Michael, 1996.
"Tax competition and Leviathan,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 113-134, January.
- Johannesen, Niels, 2014.
"Tax evasion and Swiss bank deposits,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 111(C), pages 46-62.
- Harry Huizinga & Søren Bo Nielsen, .
"Withholding Taxes or Information Exchange: The Taxation of International Interest Flows,"
EPRU Working Paper Series
00-19, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Huizinga, Harry & Nielsen, Soren Bo, 2003. "Withholding taxes or information exchange: the taxation of international interest flows," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 39-72, January.
- Tina Klautke & Alfons Weichenrieder, 2008.
"Interest Income Tax Evasion, the EU Savings Directive, and Capital Market Effects,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2300, CESifo Group Munich.
- Tina Klautke & Alfons J. Weichenrieder, 2010. "Interest Income Tax Evasion, the EU Savings Directive and Capital Market Effects," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 31(1), pages 151-170, 03.
- Wolfgang Eggert & Martin Kolmar, 2003.
"The Taxation of Financial Capital under Asymmetric Information and the Tax-Competition Paradox,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1074, CESifo Group Munich.
- Wolfgang Eggert & Martin Kolmar, 2004. "The Taxation of Financial Capital under Asymmetric Information and the Tax-competition Paradox," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 106(1), pages 83-106, 03.
- Wolfgang Eggert & Martin Kolmar, 2002. "Residence-Based Capital Taxation in a Small Open Economy: Why Information is Voluntarily Exchanged and Why it is Not," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 465-482, August.
- Michael Keen & Jenny Ligthart, 2006.
"Incentives and Information Exchange in International Taxation,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 163-180, May.
- Keen, M. & Ligthart, J.E., 2004. "Incentives and Information Exchange in International Taxation," Discussion Paper 2004-54, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Fuest, Clemens & Huber, Bernd & Mintz, Jack, 2005.
"Capital Mobility and Tax Competition,"
Foundations and Trends(R) in Microeconomics,
now publishers, vol. 1(1), pages 1-62, December.
- Keen, M. & Ligthart, J.E., 2005.
"Revenue Sharing and Information Exchange under Non-Discriminatory Taxation,"
2005-69, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Michael Keen & Jenny E. Ligthart, 2007. "Revenue Sharing and Information Exchange under Non-discriminatory Taxation," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 109(3), pages 487-504, 09.
- Clemens Fuest & Bernd Huber & Jack Mintz, 2003. "Capital Mobility and Tax Competition: A Survey," CESifo Working Paper Series 956, CESifo Group Munich.
- Lars Gläser & Martin Halla, 2006.
"Die EU-Zinsenrichtlinie: Ein Schuss in den Ofen?,"
Economics working papers
2006-14, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Michael Keen & Jenny Ligthart, 2006. "Information Sharing and International Taxation: A Primer," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 81-110, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tax:taxpap:0018. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gaetan Nicodeme)or (Freddy De Buysscher) or (Thomas hemmelgarn)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.