Macroeconomic Effects In the Acceding Countries
Some of the concerns about European Union enlargement include the effects that it might have on the economies of the incumbent countries and on the Budget of the Union. Entering an Economic and Monetary Union is not a free lunch for the acceding countries either. In this paper we analyse how the restructuring process of the CEE's economies that started with the fall of the Berlin Wall and that is made even more urgent by their willingness to acquire the full membership of the European Union affect these countries. We also show that EU membership can, paradoxically, reduce the speed of transition by introducing constraints on the use of economic policy instruments.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 6 49766353
Fax: +39 6 4462040
Web page: http://www.dipecodir.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burda, Michael C, 1998. "The Consequences of EU Enlargement for Central and Eastern European Labour Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 1881, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chadha, Bankim & Coricelli, Fabrizio, 1994.
"Fiscal Constraints and the Speed of Transition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
993, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gandolfo, Giancarlo & Padoan, Pietro Carlo, 1990. "The Italian continuous time model : Theory and empirical results," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 91-132, April.
- Ben J. Heijdra & Christian Keuschnigg & Wilhelm Kohler, 2002.
"Eastern Enlargement of the EU: Jobs, Investment and Welfare in Present Member Countries,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
718, CESifo Group Munich.
- Heijdra, Ben J. & Keuschnigg, Christian & Kohler, Wilhelm, 2002. "Eastern enlargement of the EU: jobs, investment and welfare in present member countries," CCSO Working Papers 200213, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Ben J. Heijdra & Christian Keuschnigg & Wilhelm Kohler, 2001. "Eastern enlargement of the EU: Jobs, investment and welfare in present member countries," Economics working papers 2001-11, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Bruno Merlevede & Joseph Plasmans & Bas van Aarle, 2003. "A Small Macroeconomic Model of the EU-Accession Countries," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 221-250, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sap:wpaper:wp87. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luisa Giuriato)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.