Uncovered interest parity and risk premium convergence in Central and Eastern European countries
This study applies non-linear threshold unit-root test to investigate the non-stationary properties of the uncovered interest parity (UIP) with risk premium for ten Central and Eastern European (CEE) countries. We find that non-linear threshold unit-root test has higher power than linear method suggested by Caner and Hansen (2001) if the true data generating process of risk premium convergence is in fact a stationary non-liner process. We examine the validity of UIP from the non-linear point of view and provide robust evidence clearly indicating that UIP holds true for seven countries. Our findings point out that capital mobility and exchange market efficiency are in these CEE countries with non-linear way.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995.
"Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1131, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maurice Obstfeld and Kenneth Rogoff., 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C95-048, University of California at Berkeley.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1994. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," NBER Working Papers 4693, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," Scholarly Articles 12491026, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- C. Emre Alper & Oya Pinar Ardic & Salih Fendoglu, 2007.
"The Economics of Uncovered Interest Parity Condition for Emerging Markets: A Survey,"
2007/13, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Alper, C. Emre & Ardic, Oya Pinar & Fendoglu, Salih, 2007. "The Economics of Uncovered Interest Parity Condition for Emerging Markets: A Survey," MPRA Paper 4079, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ferreira, Alex Luiz & Leon-Ledesma, Miguel A., 2007.
"Does the real interest parity hypothesis hold? Evidence for developed and emerging markets,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 364-382, April.
- Alex Luiz Ferreira & Miguel León-Ledesma, 2003. "Does the Real Interest Parity Hypothesis Hold? Evidence for Developed and Emerging Markets," Studies in Economics 0301, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- FERREIRA Alex Luiz & LEON-LEDESMA Miguel A., . "Does the Real Interest Parity Hypothesis Hold? Evidence for Developed and Emerging Markets," EcoMod2003 330700053, EcoMod.
- Mark, Nelson C., 1985. "Some evidence on the international inequality of real interest rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 189-208, June.
- Flood, Robert P & Rose, Andrew K, 1994.
"Fixes: Of the Forward Discount Puzzle,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1090, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:lan:wpaper:3583 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chen, Shyh-Wei & Shen, Chung-Hua, 2007. "A sneeze in the U.S., a cough in Japan, but pneumonia in Taiwan? An application of the Markov-Switching vector autoregressive model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Cook, David, 2009. "The puzzling dual of the uncovered interest parity puzzle evidence from Pacific Rim capital flows," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 449-456, June.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Poonawala, Jumana, 2009.
"The Forward Market in Emerging Currencies: Less Biased Than in Major Currencies,"
Working Paper Series
rwp09-023, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Poonawala, Jumana, 2010. "The forward market in emerging currencies: Less biased than in major currencies," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 585-598, April.
- Jeffrey Frankel & Jumana Poonawala, 2006. "The Forward Market in Emerging Currencies: Less Biased Than in Major Currencies," NBER Working Papers 12496, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Poonawala, Jumana, 2009. "The Forward Market in Emerging Currencies: Less Biased than in Major Currencies," Scholarly Articles 4448888, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Artis, Michael J & Galvão, Ana Beatriz C & Marcellino, Massimiliano, 2003.
"The Transmission Mechanism in a Changing World,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4014, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pasricha, Gurnain Kaur, 2006. "Survey of Literature on Covered and Uncovered Interest Parities," MPRA Paper 22737, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David A. Peel & Ioannis A. Venetis, 2005.
"Smooth Transition Models and Arbitrage Consistency,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 72(3), pages 413-430, 08.
- D Peel & I A Venetis, 2005. "Smooth transition models and arbitrage consistency," Working Papers 566786, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Bansal, Ravi & Dahlquist, Magnus, 1999.
"The Forward Premium Puzzle: Different Tales from Developed and Emerging Economies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2169, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bansal, Ravi & Dahlquist, Magnus, 2000. "The forward premium puzzle: different tales from developed and emerging economies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 115-144, June.
- repec:lan:wpaper:3217 is not listed on IDEAS
- Escribano, Alvaro, 2004. "Nonlinear Error Correction: The Case Of Money Demand In The United Kingdom (1878 2000)," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(01), pages 76-116, February.
- Chortareas, Georgios E. & Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol, 2002. "Nonlinear mean reversion in real exchange rates," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(3), pages 411-417, November.
- repec:lan:wpaper:3215 is not listed on IDEAS
- Haug & Julie Tam, 2007. "A Closer Look At Long-Run U.S. Money Demand: Linear Or Nonlinear Error-Correction With M0, M1, Or M2?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 45(2), pages 363-376, 04.
- Chowdhury, Ibrahim & Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 2002.
"Non-Linear Dynamics in Deviations from the Law of One Price: A Broad-Based Empirical Study,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3377, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P. & Chowdhury, Ibrahim, 2004. "Nonlinear dynamics in deviations from the law of one price: a broad-based empirical study," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-25, February.
- repec:lan:wpaper:3313 is not listed on IDEAS
- Peter M. Summers & Penelope A. Smith, 2005.
"How well do Markov switching models describe actual business cycles? The case of synchronization,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(2), pages 253-274.
- Penelope A. Smith & Peter M. Summers, 2004. "How Well Do Markov Switching Models Describe Actual Business Cycles? The Case of Synchronization," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2004n09, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Robert J. Sonora & Josip Tica, 2010. "Real Interest Parity in New Europe," EFZG Working Papers Series 1011, Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Zagreb.
- Seo, Myunghwan, 2006. "Bootstrap testing for the null of no cointegration in a threshold vector error correction model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 129-150, September.
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2006. "Testing For Cointegration In Nonlinear Smooth Transition Error Correction Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(02), pages 279-303, April.
- Bruno Merlevede & Joseph Plasmans & Bas van Aarle, 2003. "A Small Macroeconomic Model of the EU-Accession Countries," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 221-250, July.
- Bruce E. Hansen & Mehmet Caner, 1997.
"Threshold Autoregressions with a Unit Root,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
381, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Kashif Mansori, 2003. "Following in their Footsteps: Comparing Interest Parity Conditions in Central European Economies to the Euro Countries," CESifo Working Paper Series 1020, CESifo Group Munich.
- Juan Carlos Cuestas & Barry Harrison, 2009. "Further evidence on the Real Interest Rate Parity hypothesis in Central and Eastern European Countries: unit roots and nonlinearities," Working Papers 2009/1, Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham Business School, Economics Division.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:33:y:2013:i:c:p:204-208. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.