Following in their Footsteps: Comparing Interest Parity Conditions in Central European Economies to the Euro Countries
This paper investigates capital market integration in the major Central European emerging economies by testing the covered and uncovered interest parity conditions vis-à-vis the U.S. dollar and the DM/euro. The results for the Central European economies since 1997 are contrasted against those of the euro countries during the period preceding the introduction of the euro. This allows a comparison of conditions in the capital markets in the Central European economies versus those in the pre-euro EU. The results suggest that capital mobility and exchange rate market efficiency in Central Europe are remarkably similar to conditions in the EU during the 1990s.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Flood, Robert P & Rose, Andrew K, 1996.
"Fixes: Of the Forward Discount Puzzle,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 78(4), pages 748-752, November.
- Flood, Robert P & Rose, Andrew K, 1994. "Fixes: Of the Forward Discount Puzzle," CEPR Discussion Papers 1090, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert P. Flood & Andrew K. Rose, 1994. "Fixes: Of The Forward Discount Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 4928, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bansal, Ravi & Dahlquist, Magnus, 2000. "The forward premium puzzle: different tales from developed and emerging economies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 115-144, June.
- Bansal, Ravi & Dahlquist, Magnus, 1999. "The Forward Premium Puzzle: Different Tales from Developed and Emerging Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 2169, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Holmes, Mark J., 2001. "Some new evidence on exchange rates, capital controls and European Union financial integration," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 135-146.
- Stijn Claessens & Daniel Oks & Rossana Polastri, 2000. "Capital Flows to Central and Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union," NBER Chapters,in: Capital Flows and the Emerging Economies: Theory, Evidence, and Controversies, pages 299-339 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Claessens,Constantijn A.*Oks, Daniel*Polastri, R, 1998. "Capital flows to Central and Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1976, The World Bank.
- Mark Holmes & Yangru Wu, 1997. "Capital controls and covered interest parity in the EU: Evidence from a panel-data unit root test," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 133(1), pages 76-89, March.
- Jan J.G. Lemmen, 1998. "Integrating Financial Markets in the European Union," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 1399, July.
- Guy M Meredith & Yue Ma, 2002. "The Forward Premium Puzzle Revisited," IMF Working Papers 02/28, International Monetary Fund. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)