Optimal nondiscriminatory auctions with favoritism
In many auction settings, there is favoritism: the seller's welfare depends positively on the utility of a subset of potential bidders. However, laws or regulations may not allow the seller to discriminate among bidders. We find the optimal nondiscriminatory auction in a private value, single-unit model under favoritism. At the optimal auction there is a reserve price, or an entry fee, which is decreasing in the proportion of preferred bidders and in the intensity of the preference. Otherwise, the highest-valuation bidder wins. We show that, at least under some conditions, imposing a no-discrimination constraint raises expected seller revenue.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:||Mar 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.udesa.edu.ar
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean, 1991. "Auction design and favoritism," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 9-42, March.
- Leandro Arozamena & Nicholas Shunda & Federico Weinschelbaum, 2014.
"Optimal nondiscriminatory auctions with favoritism,"
AccessEcon, vol. 34(1), pages 252-262.
- Federico Weinschelbaum & Leandro Arozamena & Nicolas Shunda, 2012. "Optimal nondiscriminatory auctions with favoritism," Working Papers 110, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Mar 2012.
- Vagstad, Steinar, 1995. "Promoting fair competition in public procurement," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 283-307, October.
- Leandro Arozamena & Federico Weinschelbaum, 2010.
"On favoritism in auctions with entry,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2010-072, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Roberto Burguet & Martin K. Perry, 2008.
"Preferred Suppliers in Auction Markets,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
752.08, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Naegelen, Florence & Mougeot, Michel, 1998. "Discriminatory public procurement policy and cost reduction incentives," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 349-367, March.
- McAfee, R. Preston & McMillan, John, 1989. "Government procurement and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3-4), pages 291-308, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sad:wpaper:110. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tamara Sulaque)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Tamara Sulaque to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.