Common Correlated Effects Estimation of Dynamic Panels with Cross-Sectional Dependence
We study estimation of dynamic panel data models with error cross-sectional dependence generated by an unobserved common factor. We show that for a temporally dependent factor, the standard within groups (WG) estimator is inconsistent even as both N and T tend to infinity. Next we investigate the properties of the common correlated effects pooled (CCEP) estimator of Pesaran [Econometrica, 2006] which eliminates the cross-sectional dependence using cross-sectional averages of the data. In contrast to the static case, the CCEP estimator is only consistent if next to N also T tends to infinity. It is shown that for the most relevant parameter settings, the asymptotic bias of the CCEP estimator is larger than that of the infeasible WG estimator, which includes the common factors as regressors. Restricting the CCEP estimator results in a somewhat smaller asymptotic bias. The small sample proper- ties of the various estimators are analysed using Monte Carlo experiments. The simulation results suggest that the CCEP estimator can be used to estimate dynamic panel data models provided T is not too small. The size of N is of less importance.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hoveniersberg 4, B-9000 Gent|
Phone: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 34 61
Fax: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 35 92
Web page: http://www.ugent.be/eb
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jerry Coakley & Ana-Maria Fuertes & Ron Smith, 2002. "A Principal Components Approach to Cross-Section Dependence in Panels," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 B5-3, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Phillips, Peter & Sul, Donggyu, 2003.
"Bias in Dynamic Panel Estimation with Fixed Effects, Incidental Trends and Cross Section Dependence,"
177, Department of Economics, The University of Auckland.
- Phillips, Peter C.B. & Sul, Donggyu, 2007. "Bias in dynamic panel estimation with fixed effects, incidental trends and cross section dependence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 162-188, March.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Donggyu Sul, 2004. "Bias in Dynamic Panel Estimation with Fixed Effects, Incidental Trends and Cross Section Dependence," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm428, Yale School of Management.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Donggyu Sul, 2003. "Bias in Dynamic Panel Estimation with Fixed Effects, Incidental Trends and Cross Section Dependence," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1438, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jun 2004.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2006.
"Estimation and Inference in Large Heterogeneous Panels with a Multifactor Error Structure,"
Econometric Society, vol. 74(4), pages 967-1012, 07.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2004. "Estimation and Inference in Large Heterogeneous Panels with a Multifactor Error Structure," CESifo Working Paper Series 1331, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bun, Maurice J.G. & Carree, Martin A., 2005.
"Bias-Corrected Estimation in Dynamic Panel Data Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 200-210, April.
- Bun M.J.G. & Carree M.A., 2002. "Bias-corrected estimation in dynamic panel data models," Research Memorandum 025, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Everaert, Gerdie & Pozzi, Lorenzo, 2007. "Bootstrap-based bias correction for dynamic panels," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 1160-1184, April.
- Bai, Jushan & Kao, Chihwa & Ng, Serena, 2009.
"Panel cointegration with global stochastic trends,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 149(1), pages 82-99, April.
- Kiviet, Jan F., 1995.
"On bias, inconsistency, and efficiency of various estimators in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 53-78, July.
- Tom Doan, . "LSDVC: RATS procedure to estimate a dynamic FE model with correction for bias," Statistical Software Components RTS00111, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2001.
"A PANIC Attack on Unit Roots and Cointegration,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
519, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Vasilis Sarafidis & Donald Robertson, 2009. "On the impact of error cross-sectional dependence in short dynamic panel estimation," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 12(1), pages 62-81, 03.
- Harding, Matthew & Lamarche, Carlos, 2011. "Least squares estimation of a panel data model with multifactor error structure and endogenous covariates," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 111(3), pages 197-199, June.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-26, November.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Donggyu Sul, 2003. "Dynamic panel estimation and homogeneity testing under cross section dependence *," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 6(1), pages 217-259, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rug:rugwps:11/723. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Verhaeghe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.