Seasonality in smoking behaviour: Re-evaluating the effects of the 2005 public smoking ban in Italy
This paper investigates the impact of the public smoking ban which came into effect in Italy on January 2005 on individual smoking behaviour. Current empirical evidence supports the existence of a negative effect of the Italian ban on smoking prevalence and consumption in the general population. This is in contrast to what has been found in some other European countries. Our analysis shows that the apparent success of the Italian smoking ban is due to the fact that existing results do not take into account seasonal differences in smoking behaviour. Using quarterly data from the 1999/2000 and 2004/2005 Italian Health Surveys and adopting a difference-in-difference approach that nets out monthly variation in smoking rates, we show that the Italian smoking ban had no impact on individual smoking behaviour for the population as a whole, and only small effects on some groups of individuals.
|Date of creation:||18 Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:||18 Oct 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ceistorvergata.it
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: CEIS - Centre for Economic and International Studies - Faculty of Economics - University of Rome "Tor Vergata" - Via Columbia, 2 00133 Roma|
Web: http://www.ceistorvergata.it Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anger, Silke & Kvasnicka, Michael & Siedler, Thomas, 2011.
"One last puff? Public smoking bans and smoking behavior,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 591-601, May.
- Anger, Silke & Kvasnicka, Michael & Siedler, Thomas, 2011. "One Last Puff? Public Smoking Bans and Smoking Behavior," EconStor Open Access Articles, ZBW - German National Library of Economics, pages 591-601.
- Silke Anger & Michael Kvasnicka & Thomas Siedler, 2010. "One Last Puff?: Public Smoking Bans and Smoking Behavior," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 992, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Anger, Silke & Kvasnicka, Michael & Siedler, Thomas, 2010. "One Last Puff? Public Smoking Bans and Smoking Behavior," IZA Discussion Papers 4873, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Silke Anger & Michael Kvasnicka & Thomas Siedler, 2010. "One Last Puff?: Public Smoking Bans and Smoking Behavior," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 289, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Silke Anger & Michael Kvasnicka & Thomas Siedler, 2010. "One Last Puff? – Public Smoking Bans and Smoking Behavior," Ruhr Economic Papers 0180, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rtv:ceisrp:295. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Barbara Piazzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.