The Effects of Unification: Markets, Policy and Cyclical Convergence in Italy, 1861-1913
This paper examines the convergence of regional business cycles in the decades that followed Italy's Unification. The aggregate construction series point to cyclical convergence, but a sectorlevel analysis traces this result to the decline in differentiated "regional-policy" shocks. The regional market cycles diverged, as the regions specialized in different sectors of production; market-cycle convergence is observed only within the "industrial triangle," the regions of which also developed different specializations. This suggests that the balance between growing interdependence and growing differentiation is not general, as the current literature presumes, but specialization-specific.
|Date of creation:||18 Nov 2008|
|Date of revision:||18 Nov 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ceistorvergata.it
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: CEIS - Centre for Economic and International Studies - Faculty of Economics - University of Rome "Tor Vergata" - Via Columbia, 2 00133 Roma|
Web: http://www.ceistorvergata.it Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Agustín Maravall & Ana del Río, 2007.
"Temporal aggregation, systematic sampling, and the Hodrick-Prescott filter,"
Banco de Espa�a Working Papers
0728, Banco de Espa�a.
- Maravall, A. & del Rio, A., 2007. "Temporal aggregation, systematic sampling, and the Hodrick-Prescott filter," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 975-998, October.
- Federico, Giovanni, 2007. "Market integration and market efficiency: The case of 19th century Italy," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 293-316, April.
- Ansgar Belke & Jens Heine, 2006.
"Specialisation patterns and the synchronicity of regional employment cycles in Europe,"
International Economics and Economic Policy,
Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 91-104, November.
- Ansgar Belke & Jens Michael Heine, 2002. "Specialisation Patterns and the Synchronicity of Regional Employment Cycles in Europe," Diskussionspapiere aus dem Institut für Volkswirtschaftslehre der Universität Hohenheim 210/2002, Department of Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany.
- Ansgar BELKE & Jens H. HEINE, . "Specialisation Patterns and the Synchronicity of Regional Employment Cycles in Europe," EcoMod2004 330600020, EcoMod.
- Belke, Ansgar & Heine, Jens M., 2004. "Specialisation Patterns and the Synchronicity of Regional Employment Cycles in Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 1439, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fenoaltea, Stefano, 2003. "Peeking Backward: Regional Aspects of Industrial Growth in Post-Unification Italy," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 63(04), pages 1059-1102, December.
- Andrew Hughes Hallett & Christian Richter, 2008. "Have the Eurozone economies converged on a common European cycle?," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 71-101, July.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Terry J. Fitzgerald, 1999.
"The Band pass filter,"
9906, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Lourdes Acedo Montoya & Jakob de Haan, 2007.
"Regional Business Cycle Synchronization in Europe,"
Bruges European Economic Research Papers
11, European Economic Studies Department, College of Europe.
- Lourdes Montoya & Jakob Haan, 2008. "Regional business cycle synchronization in Europe?," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 123-137, July.
- Carlo Ciccarelli & Stefano Fenoaltea, 2008.
"Construction in Italy's Regions, 1861-1913,"
CEIS Research Paper
136, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 03 Dec 2008.
- Athanasios Orphanides & Simon van Norden, 1999.
"The reliability of output gap estimates in real time,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1999-38, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Athanasios Orphanides & Simon van Norden, 2002. "The Unreliability of Output-Gap Estimates in Real Time," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(4), pages 569-583, November.
- Athanasios Orphanides & Simon van Norden, 2001. "The Unreliability of Output Gap Estimates in Real Time," CIRANO Working Papers 2001s-57, CIRANO.
- Athanasios Orphanides & Simon van Norden, 1999. "The Reliability of Output Gap Estimates in Real Time," Macroeconomics 9907006, EconWPA.
- Athanasios Orphanides & Simon Van_Norden, 2000. "The Reliability of Output Gap Estimates in Real Time," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0768, Econometric Society.
- Gianni Toniolo & Leandro Conte & Giovanni Vecchi, 2003.
"Monetary Union, Institutions and Financial Market Integration, Italy 1862-1905,"
CEIS Research Paper
16, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Toniolo, Gianni & Conte, Leandro & Vecchi, Giovanni, 2003. "Monetary Union, institutions and financial market integration: Italy, 1862-1905," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 443-461, October.
- Conte, Leandro & Toniolo, Gianni & Vecchi, Giovanni, 2003. "Monetary Union, Institutions and Financial Market Integration, Italy 1862-1905," CEPR Discussion Papers 3684, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Durbin, James & Koopman, Siem Jan, 2001.
"Time Series Analysis by State Space Methods,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198523543, March.
- Tom Doan, . "SEASONALDLM: RATS procedure to create the matrices for the seasonal component of a DLM," Statistical Software Components RTS00251, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ciccarelli, Carlo & Fenoaltea, Stefano, 2007. "Business fluctuations in Italy, 1861-1913: The new evidence," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 432-451, July.
- Morten O. Ravn & Harald Uhlig, 2002. "On adjusting the Hodrick-Prescott filter for the frequency of observations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 371-375.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rtv:ceisrp:133. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Barbara Piazzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.