Sectoral Structure and Economic Growth
The main goal of the present work is to reveal the advantages of introducing the so-called structural coefficient (SC) in economic analysis. SC is defined as an indicator of the similarity between a given sectoral structure and another, which is admitted as a referential. Consequently, the paper is organized as follows. The first chapter is consecrated to computational formulas applicable for the estimation of such a measure. Ten possible algorithms are examined and five are retained as adequate for empirical investigations. The second chapter discusses, using WB Statistics for the World Economy, two important questions concerning the structural coefficient (SC): “Is SC an authentic “numeraire”? and “Can SC be rather considered as an “attractor”?”. The paper inclines towards the second supposition. In the third chapter, the famous binomial “sectoral structure-economic growth”, comments based on analytical valences of the structural coefficient (SC) are provided. With this aim, the Toda–Yamamoto version of Granger causality test is applied. Several conclusions and further research lines end the paper. The necessary statistical appendices and references are included.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baumol, William J & Blackman, Sue Anne Batey & Wolff, Edward N, 1985.
"Unbalanced Growth Revisited: Asymptotic Stagnancy and New Evidence,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 806-17, September.
- Baumol, William J. & Batey Blackman, Sue Anne & Wolff, Edward N., 1984. "Unbalanced Growth Revisited: Asymptotic Stagnancy and New Evidence," Working Papers 84-02, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Ricardo Reis & Mark W. Watson, 2007.
"Measuring changes in the value of the numeraire,"
Kiel Working Papers
1364, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Robert Dixon & G.C. Lim & John Freebairn, 2010.
"Regional Beveridge Curves: A Latent Variable Approach,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
1103, The University of Melbourne.
- Robert Dixon & G. C. Lim & John Freebairn, 2014. "Regional Beveridge Curves: A Latent Variable Approach," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(2), pages 254-269, February.
- Robert Dixon & G. C. Lim & John Freebairn, 2010. "Regional Beveridge Curves: A Latent Variable Approach," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2010n15, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- L. Rachel Ngai & Christopher Pissarides, 2004.
"Balanced growth with structural change,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
4658, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- L. Rachel Ngai & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2004. "Balanced Growth With Structural Change," CEP Discussion Papers dp0627, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Christopher Pissarides & Rachel Ngai, 2004. "Balanced Growth with Structural Change," 2004 Meeting Papers 450, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Andreas Dietrich, 2012.
"Does growth cause structural change, or is it the other way around? A dynamic panel data analysis for seven OECD countries,"
Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 915-944, December.
- Andreas Dietrich, 2009. "Does Growth Cause Structural Change, or Is it the Other Way Round? A Dynamic Panel Data Analyses for Seven OECD Countries," Jena Economic Research Papers 2009-034, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Sergio Rebelo & Piyabha Kongsamut & Danyang Xie, 2001.
"Beyond Balanced Growth,"
IMF Working Papers
01/85, International Monetary Fund.
- Piyabha Kongsamut & Sergio Rebelo & Danyang Xie, 1997. "Beyond Balanced Growth," NBER Working Papers 6159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kongsamut, P. & Rebelo, S. & Xie, D., 1997. "Beyong Balanced Growth," RCER Working Papers 438, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Kongsamut, Piyabha & Rebelo, Sérgio & Xie, Danyang, 1997. "Beyond Balanced Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 1693, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John J. Wallis & Douglass North, 1986. "Measuring the Transaction Sector in the American Economy, 1870-1970," NBER Chapters, in: Long-Term Factors in American Economic Growth, pages 95-162 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ester G. Silva & Aurora A. C. Teixeira, 2011.
"Does structure influence growth? A panel data econometric assessment of "relatively less developed" countries, 1979--2003,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 20(2), pages 457-510, April.
- Ester Gomes da Silva & Aurora A.C. Teixeira, 2009. "Does structure influence growth? A panel data econometric assessment of ‘relatively less developed’ countries, 1979-2003," FEP Working Papers 316, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Daron Acemoglu & Veronica Guerrieri, 2006.
"Capital Deepening and Non-Balanced Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
12475, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daron Acemoglu & Veronica Guerrieri, 2006. "Capital Deepening and Non-Balanced Economic Growth," 2006 Meeting Papers 207, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Laitner, John, 2000. "Structural Change and Economic Growth," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 67(3), pages 545-61, July.
- Echevarria, Cristina, 1997. "Changes in Sectoral Composition Associated with Economic Growth," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(2), pages 431-52, May.
- Foellmi, Reto & Zweimüller, Josef, 2008. "Structural change, Engel's consumption cycles and Kaldor's facts of economic growth," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(7), pages 1317-1328, October.
- Montobbio, Fabio, 2002.
"An evolutionary model of industrial growth and structural change,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 387-414, December.
- Fabio Montobbio, 2000. "An Evolutionary Model of Industrial Growth and Structural Change," KITeS Working Papers 121, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Nov 2000.
- Nicholas Economides & Andrzej Skrzypacz, 2004. "Standards Coalitions Formation and Market Structure in Network Industries," Microeconomics 0407008, EconWPA.
- Sinha, Dipendra & Sinha, Tapen, 2007. "Toda and Yamamoto Causality Tests Between Per Capita Saving and Per Capita GDP for India," MPRA Paper 2564, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Syrquin, M. & Chenery, H.B., 1989. "Patterns Of Development, 1950 To 1983," World Bank - Discussion Papers 41, World Bank.
- Maurizio Pugno, 2003.
"The service paradox and endogenous economic growth,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
0301, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Pugno, Maurizio, 2006. "The service paradox and endogenous economic growth," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 99-115, January.
- Allan G. B. Fisher, 1939. "Production, Primary, Secondary And Tertiary," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 15(1), pages 24-38, 06.
- Jochen Hartwig, 2010.
"Testing the growth effects of structural change,"
KOF Working papers
10-264, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Horst Entorf, 2003. "Do Aggregate Measures Of Mismatch Measure Mismatch?A Time Series Analysis Of Existing Concepts," Labor and Demography 0312006, EconWPA.
- Finger, J M & Kreinin, M E, 1979. "A Measure of 'Export Similarity' and Its Possible Uses," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(356), pages 905-12, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rjr:wpmems:112401. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.