Institutional Theory In Tourism Studies: Evidence And Future Directions
The present article focuses on the effective application of the Institutional Theory as a theoretical perspective in scientific studies. The particular goal is to present a literature review about the Institutional Theory applied to the tourism industry, particularly the wine tourism segment. Different research areas are identified among those developed within institutional premises in tourism studies. The present review discusses the influence of the institutional framework in the organizational behavior and the pursuit of social legitimacy of tourism organizations. The Institutional Theory presents itself as a consolidated theoretical perspective used to explain organizational behaviors; however, it has been poorly used in tourism studies. It is in this sense that this article offers significant contributions by gathering a theoretical discussion body of the Institutional Theory in the tourism industry, which could lead to practical implications concerning the public and private management of this sector. This article provides theoretical reflections for future research directions with the Institutional Theory in wine tourism and adds to the few tourism studies developed with an institutional perspective.
|Date of creation:||07 Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +351 289 244 406
Web page: http://www.cieo.pt/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alfonso Vargas-Sánchez & Francisco Riquel-Ligero, 2011. "An Institutional Approach to the Environmental Practices of Golf Courses," Academica Turistica - Tourism and Innovation Journal, University of Primorska, Faculty of Tourism Studies - Turistica,, vol. 4(1), pages 5-15.
- David Urbano & Nuria Toledano & Domingo Ribeiro, 2008. "Support policy for the tourism business: a comparative case study in Spain," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(1), pages 119-131, June.
- Kalim Shah, 2011. "Strategic organizational drivers of corporate environmental responsibility in the Caribbean hotel industry," Policy Sciences, Springer, vol. 44(4), pages 321-344, November.
- Simone Strambach & Annika Surmeier, 2012. "Knowledge Dynamics in Sustainable Standard Setting in Tourism â€“ The case of "Fair Trade in Tourism South Africa (FTTSA)"," Working Papers on Innovation and Space 2012-04, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Lerner, Miri & Haber, Sigal, 2001. "Performance factors of small tourism ventures: The interface of tourism, entrepreneurship and the environment," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 77-100, January.
- Breda McCarthy, 2012. "From fishing and factories to cultural tourism: The role of social entrepreneurs in the construction of a new institutional field," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(3-4), pages 259-282, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:cieodp:2014_003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silvia Fernandes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.