Financial Safety Nets in Asia: Genesis, Evolution, Adequacy, and Way Forward
Financial safety nets in Asia have come a long way since the Asian Financial Crisis (AFC) of 1997–98. Not wanting to rely solely on the International Monetary Fund (IMF) again, the Chiang Mai Initiative (CMI) was created in 2000. When the CMI also proved inadequate following the Global Financial Crisis (GFC), it was first multilateralized (CMIM), and then doubled in size to $240 billion, while the IMF de-linked portion was increased to 30%. A surveillance unit, the Association for Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)+3 Macroeconomic Research Office (AMRO), was set-up in 2011. The authors assess whether these developments are sufficient to make the CMIM workable.
|Date of creation:||12 Nov 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kasumigaseki Building 8F, 3-2-5, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-6008, Japan|
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Iwan J. Azis, 2012. "Asian Regional Financial Safety Nets? Don't Hold Your Breath," Public Policy Review, Policy Research Institute, Ministry of Finance Japan, vol. 8(3), pages 321-340, August.
- Mario Lamberte & Peter J. Morgan, 2012.
"Regional and Global Monetary Cooperation,"
Finance Working Papers
23190, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Lamberte, Mario & Morgan , Peter J., 2012. "Regional and Global Monetary Cooperation," ADBI Working Papers 346, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Masahiro Kawai, 2010. "Reform Of The International Financial Architecture: An Asian Perspective," The Singapore Economic Review (SER), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 55(01), pages 207-242.
- Kawai, Masahiro, 2009. "Reform of the International Financial Architecture: An Asian Perspective," ADBI Working Papers 167, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Masahiro Kawai, 2010. "Reform of the International Financial Architecture: An Asian Perspective," Working Papers id:3066, eSocialSciences.
- C. Randall Henning, 2011. "Coordinating Regional and Multilateral Financial Institutions," Working Paper Series WP11-9, Peterson Institute for International Economics. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:adbiwp:0395. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ADB Institute)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.