Asian Regional Policy Coordination
This paper addresses two central questions for Asia and the world: (1) What is the purpose of Asian regional policy coordination going forward? (2) Will Asian regional policy coordination substitute or complement global policy coordination? The paper examines the potential coverage and content of such policy coordination, what is meant by Asia in this context, and how Asia fits in with global policy coordination processes. I address three related aspects of Asian regional policy coordination: macroeconomic policies, reserve management, and crisis management. I conclude that while the countries in the Asian region have not completely exploited the scope for regional policy coordination, more ambitious efforts focused on close integration are not likely to bear fruit, in particular, if they are conceived and promoted under the banner of Asian exceptionalism. These conclusions are based on two main considerations: First, Asian economies differ, and will continue to differ, sufficiently in size and stage of development such that it is difficult to conceive of a successful voluntary blending of their interests. Second, the central lesson of the global financial crisis and its current European coda is that global economic and financial integration has advanced sufficiently that countries can run but they cannot hide individually or in sub-global groups of countries.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1750 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20036-1903|
Web page: http://www.piie.com
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean Pisani-Ferry & André Sapir & Guntram B. Wolff, .
"An evaluation of IMF surveillance of the euro area,"
Bruegel, number 629, March.
- André Sapir & Jean Pisani-Ferry & Guntram Wolff, 2011. "An Evaluation of IMF Surveillance of the Euro Area," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/174277, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- McKay Julie & Volz Ulrich & Wölfinger Regine, 2011. "Regional Financing Arrangements and the Stability of the International Monetary System," Journal of Globalization and Development, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-33, August.
- Masahiro Kawai, 2010.
"Reform of the International Financial Architecture: An Asian Perspective,"
- Masahiro Kawai, 2010. "Reform Of The International Financial Architecture: An Asian Perspective," The Singapore Economic Review (SER), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 55(01), pages 207-242.
- Kawai, Masahiro, 2009. "Reform of the International Financial Architecture: An Asian Perspective," ADBI Working Papers 167, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- C. Fred Bergsten, 1997.
Working Paper Series
WP97-3, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- C. Randall Henning & Mohsin S. Khan, 2011. "Asia and Global Financial Governance," Working Paper Series WP11-16, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry, 1992.
"Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
643, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tamim Bayoumi and Barry Eichengreen., 1992. "Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification," Economics Working Papers 92-187, University of California at Berkeley.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Barry Eichengreen, 1992. "Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification," NBER Working Papers 3949, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edwin M. Truman, 2010. "Strengthening IMF Surveillance: A Comprehensive Proposal," Policy Briefs PB10-29, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Shengzu Wang & Chris Marsh & Rishi Goyal & Narayanan Raman & Swarnali Ahmed, 2011. "Financial Deepening and International Monetary Stability," IMF Staff Discussion Notes 11/16, International Monetary Fund.
- Edwin M. Truman, 2010. "The G-20 and International Financial Institution Governance," Working Paper Series WP10-13, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- C. Randall Henning, 2011. "Coordinating Regional and Multilateral Financial Institutions," Working Paper Series WP11-9, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iie:wpaper:wp11-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peterson Institute webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.