Coordination Under Uncertain Conditions: An Analysis of the Fukushima Catastrophe
This paper analyzes the impacts of the 11 March 2011 earthquake and tsunami at the Fukushima nuclear power plant in Japan, which were amplified by a failure of coordination across the plant, corporate, industrial, and regulatory levels, resulting in a nuclear catastrophe, comparable in cost to Chernobyl. It derives generic lessons for industrial structure and regulatory frame of the electric power industry by identifying the two shortcomings of a horizontal coordination mechanism: instability under large shock and the lack of “defense in depth.”
|Date of creation:||28 Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Masahiko Aoki & Hirokazu Takizuwa, 2013.
"Information, Incentives, and Option Value: The Silicon Valley Model,"
in: Comparative Institutional Analysis, chapter 7, pages 72-104
- Aoki, Masahiko & Takizawa, Hirokazu, 2002. "Information, Incentives, and Option Value: The Silicon Valley Model," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 759-786, December.
- Alonso, Ricardo & Dessein, Wouter & Matouschek, Niko, 2006.
"When Does Coordination Require Centralization?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5802, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aoki, Masahiko, 2010. "Corporations in Evolving Diversity: Cognition, Governance, and Institutions," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199218530, March.
- n/a, 2003. "Book Reviews," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 151-159.
- Aoki, Masahiko, 1986.
"Horizontal vs. Vertical Information Structure of the Firm,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 971-83, December.
- Masahiko Aoki, 2013. "Horizontal vs. Vertical Information Structure of the Firm," Chapters, in: Comparative Institutional Analysis, chapter 5, pages 57-58 Edward Elgar.
- Rothwell, Geoffrey, 1996. "Organizational Structure and Expected Output at Nuclear Power Plants," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(3), pages 482-88, August.
- Aoki, Masahiko, 1990.
"Toward an Economic Model of the Japanese Firm,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 28(1), pages 1-27, March.
- Bushnell, James & Hobbs, Benjamin F. & Wolak, Frank A., 2009.
"When It Comes to Demand Response, Is FERC Its Own Worst Enemy?,"
The Electricity Journal,
Elsevier, vol. 22(8), pages 9-18, October.
- Bushnell, James & Hobbs, Benjamin & Wolak, Frank, 2009. "When It Comes to Demand Response, is FERC Its Own Worst Enemy?," Staff General Research Papers 13141, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Ricardo Alonso & Wouter Dessein & Niko Matouschek, 2008. "When Does Coordination Require Centralization? Corrigendum," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(3), pages 1195-96, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:adbiwp:0316. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Hugh Davis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.