Empirical Determinants and Patterns of Research and Development Investment in Asia
This paper investigates the financial determinants of research and development (R&D) investment in Asia, where innovation is naturally seen as the key driver of future (high) economic growth. We sample listed nonfinancial firms from eight economies in region (the People’s Republic of China; Hong Kong, China; India; Indonesia; the Republic of Korea; Malaysia; the Philippines; and Singapore) for the period 2002–2011 using the Oriana database. Panel data regressions show sensitivity of R&D investment to changes in cash flow, indicating reliance on internal financing of R&D and financially constrained firms, and a greater role of debt, rather than equity, as a source of external financing. In terms of alternative uses of funds, dividend payments by firms seem to divert from their spending on R&D, but investments in financial assets do not. In terms of ownership structure, empirical results show that both higher domestic ownership concentration and higher foreign ownership tend to lower cash flow sensitivity of R&D investment, suggesting more stable funding of innovation. Overall, there does not seem to be an extreme preference of firm shareholders for short-term returns at the expense of long-term productivity. However, there is clearly a gain for firms as well as economies they are in with better access to external financing of R&D.
|Date of creation:||16 Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 789, Manila|
Fax: (63-2) 636-2648
Web page: http://www.adb.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Denice DiPasquale & Edward L. Glaeser, 1997.
"Incentives and Social Capital: Are Homeowners Better Citizens?,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1815, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- DiPasquale, Denise & Glaeser, Edward L., 1999. "Incentives and Social Capital: Are Homeowners Better Citizens?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 354-384, March.
- Denise DiPasquale & Edward L. Glaeser, 1998. "Incentives and Social Capital: Are Homeowners Better Citizens?," NBER Working Papers 6363, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vladimir Klyuev & Paul Mills, 2007.
"Is Housing Wealth an “ATM”? The Relationship Between Household Wealth, Home Equity Withdrawal, and Saving Rates,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 54(3), pages 539-561, July.
- Vladimir Klyuev & Paul S. Mills, 2006. "Is Housing Wealth An 'ATM'? the Relationship Between Household Wealth, Home Equity withdrawal, and Saving Rates," IMF Working Papers 06/162, International Monetary Fund.
- Fogel, Robert W, 1994.
"Economic Growth, Population Theory, and Physiology: The Bearing of Long-Term Processes on the Making of Economic Policy,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(3), pages 369-95, June.
- Fogel, Robert W., 1993. "Economic Growth, Population Theory, and Physiology: The Bearing of Long-Term Processes on the Making of Economic Policy," Nobel Prize in Economics documents 1993-1, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Robert W. Fogel, 1994. "Economic Growth, Population Theory, and Physiology: The Bearing of Long-Term Processes on the Making of Economic Policy," NBER Working Papers 4638, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oyeshola Femi Kofoworola & Shabbir Gheewala, 2008. "An input-output analysis of Thailand's construction sector," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(11), pages 1227-1240.
- Ben C. Arimah, 1992. "An Empirical Analysis of the Demand for Housing Attributes in a Third World City," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 68(4), pages 366-379.
- Loic Chiquier & Michael Lea, 2009. "Housing Finance Policy in Emerging Markets," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2641, August.
- Francis E Warnock & Veronica Cacdac Warnock, 2012. "Developing Housing Finance Systems," RBA Annual Conference Volume, in: Alexandra Heath & Frank Packer & Callan Windsor (ed.), Property Markets and Financial Stability Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Aaronson, Daniel, 2000.
"A Note on the Benefits of Homeownership,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 356-369, May.
- Robert Holzmann & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2001. "New Ideas about Old Age Security : Toward Sustainable Pension Systems in the 21st Century," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13857, August.
- Robert M. Buckley & Jerry Kalarickal, 2005. "Housing Policy in Developing Countries: Conjectures and Refutations," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 20(2), pages 233-257.
- Chan, Thomas Sai-fan, 1999. "Residential Construction and Credit Market Imperfection," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 125-39, January.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad, 2005.
"Reaching out : access to and use of banking services across countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3754, The World Bank.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad, 2007. "Reaching out: Access to and use of banking services across countries," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 234-266, July.
- Richard K. Green & Michelle J. White, 1994.
"Measuring the Benefits of Homeowning: Effects on Children,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
93, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Green, Richard K. & White, Michelle J., 1997. "Measuring the Benefits of Homeowning: Effects on Children," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 441-461, May.
- Richard K. Green & Michelle J. White, 1994. "Measuring the Benefits of Homeowning: Effects on Children," Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers 94-05, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Black, Jane & de Meza, David & Jeffreys, David, 1996. "House Price, the Supply of Collateral and the Enterprise Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(434), pages 60-75, January.
- Zhuang, Juzhong & Gunatilake, Herath & Niimi, Yoko & Ehsan Khan, Muhammad & Jiang, Yi & Hasan, Rana & Khor, Niny & S. Lagman-Martin, Anneli & Bracey, Pamela & Huang, Biao, 2009. "Financial Sector Development, Economic Growth, and Poverty Reduction: A Literature Review," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 173, Asian Development Bank.
- Tullio Jappelli & Marco Pagano, 1994.
"Saving, Growth, and Liquidity Constraints,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 109(1), pages 83-109.
- Holzmann, Robert & Packard, Truman & Cuesta, Jose, 2000. "Extending coverage in multi-pillar pension systems : constraints and hypotheses, preliminary evidence and future research agenda," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 21303, The World Bank.
- Roberto Pietroforte & Tullio Gregori, 2003. "An input-output analysis of the construction sector in highly developed economies," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(3), pages 319-327.
- Willmore, Larry, 2007. "Universal Pensions for Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 24-51, January.
- Prince Christian R. Cruz, 2008. "Transaction Costs and Housing Affordability in Asia," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 11(1), pages 128-150.
- Pietro Catte & Nathalie Girouard & Robert W. R. Price & Christophe André, 2004. "Housing Markets, Wealth and the Business Cycle," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 394, OECD Publishing.
- Park, Se-Hark, 1989. "Linkages between industry and services and their implications for urban employment generation in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 359-379, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:adbewp:0364. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Susan M. Torres)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.