Wavelet-based Core Inflation Measures: Evidence from Peru
Under inflation targeting and other related monetary policy regimes, the identification of non-transitory in ation and forecasts about future inflation constitute key ingredients for monetary policy decisions. In practice, central banks perform these tasks using so-called "core inflation measures". In this paper we construct alternative core inflation measures using wavelet functions and multiresolution analysis (MRA), and then evaluate their relevance for monetary policy. The construction of wavelet-based core inflation measures (WIMs) is relatively new in the literature and their assessment has not been addressed formally, this paper being the first attempt to perform both tasks for the case of Peru. Another main contribution of this paper is that it proposes a VAR-based long-run criterion as an alternative criteria for evaluating core inflation measures. Evidence from Peru shows that WIMs are superior to official core inflation in terms of both the proposed criterion and forecast-based criteria.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 427-6250 ext. 3841
Web page: http://www.bcrp.gob.pe
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baqaee, David, 2010.
"Using wavelets to measure core inflation: The case of New Zealand,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 241-255, December.
- David Baqaee, 2009. "Using wavelets to measure core inflation: the case in New Zealand," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2009/05, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Armas, Adrián & Vallejos , Lucy & Vega, Marco, 2011. "Indicadores tendenciales de inflación y su relevancia como variables indicativas de política monetaria," Revista Estudios Económicos, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú, issue 20, pages 27-56.
- Lahura Serrano, Erick W., 2004. "La relación dinero-producto, brecha del producto e inflación subyacente: algunas aplicaciones de las funciones Wavelets," Revista Estudios Económicos, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú, issue 11.
- Ribba, Antonio, 2003. "Permanent-transitory decompositions and traditional measures of core inflation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 109-116, October.
- Christoph Schleicher, 2002. "An Introduction to Wavelets for Economists," Working Papers 02-3, Bank of Canada.
- Dowd, Kevin & Cotter, John & Loh, Lixia, 2011.
"U.S. Core Inflation: A Wavelet Analysis,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 513-536, September.
- kevin dowd & john cotter, 2011. "U.S. Core Inflation: A Wavelet Analysis," Papers 1103.5659, arXiv.org.
- Kevin Dowd & John Cotter, 2011. "U.S. Core Inflation: A Wavelet Analysis," Working Papers 200617, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Cotter, John & Dowd, Kevin, 2006. "U.S. Core Inflation: A Wavelet Analysis," MPRA Paper 3520, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rbp:wpaper:2011-019. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Research Unit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.