Limiting Foreign Exchange Exposure through Hedging: The Australian Experience
The Australian economy has proven resilient to sizable exchange rate fluctuations over the post-float period. In part this can be attributed to financial institutions and non-financial firms learning to adapt to swings in the Australian dollar. This has included the increased use of financial derivative contracts to hedge their foreign exchange exposures. This paper examines the available evidence on the nature and extent of this hedging behaviour. Related to this, Australia’s net foreign liability position is often cited as a vulnerability of the Australian economy to exchange rate depreciation. We show this not to be the case because much of the liability position is denominated in local currency terms. In fact, the amount of liabilities denominated in foreign currency is less than the amount of foreign currency assets held by residents.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rba.gov.au/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.rba.gov.au/forms/rdp-order-form/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Phil Briggs, 2004. "Currency hedging by exporters and importers," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 67, December.
- Eli Bartov & Gordon M. Bodnar & Aditya Kaul, 1995.
"Exchange Rate Variability and the Riskiness of U.S. Multinational Firms:Evidence from the Breakdown of the Bretton Woods System,"
NBER Working Papers
5323, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bartov, Eli & Bodnar, Gordon M. & Kaul, Aditya, 1996. "Exchange rate variability and the riskiness of U.S. multinational firms: Evidence from the breakdown of the Bretton Woods system," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 105-132, September.
- Jonathan Batten & Robert Mellor & Victor Wan, 1993.
"Foreign Exchange Risk Management Practices and Products Used by Australian Firms,"
Journal of International Business Studies,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(3), pages 557-573, September.
- Batten, J. & Mellor, R. & Wan, V., 1992. "Foreign Exchange Risk Management Practices and Products used by Australian Firms," Papers e9209, Western Sydney - School of Business And Technology.
- Gordon M. Bodnar & Gunther Gebhardt, 1998.
"Derivatives Usage in Risk Management by US and German Non-Financial Firms: A Comparative Survey,"
NBER Working Papers
6705, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bodnar, G.M. & Gebhart, G., 1998. "Derivatives Usage in Risk Management by US and German Non-Financial Firms: A Comparative Survey," Weiss Center Working Papers 98-03, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Bodnar, Gordon M. & Gebhardt, Günther, 1998. "Derivatives usage in risk management by U.S. and German non-financial firms: A comparative survey," CFS Working Paper Series 1998/17, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Pramborg, Bengt, 2005. "Foreign exchange risk management by Swedish and Korean nonfinancial firms: A comparative survey," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 343-366, June.
- Kathryn M.E. Dominguez & Linda L. Tesar, 2001.
"Exchange Rate Exposure,"
NBER Working Papers
8453, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Hargreaves & Andy Brookes & Carrick Lucas & Bruce White, 2000. "Can hedging insulate firms from exchange rate risk," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 63, March.
- Henk Berkman & Michael E. Bradbury & Phil Hancock & Clare Innes, 2002. "Derivative financial instrument use in Australia," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 42(2), pages 97-109.
- Nguyen, Hoa & Faff, Robert, 2003. "Can the use of foreign currency derivatives explain variations in foreign exchange exposure?: Evidence from Australian companies," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 193-215, July.
- Loderer, Claudio & Pichler, Karl, 2000. "Firms, do you know your currency risk exposure? Survey results," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 317-344, November.
- Saikat Nandi & Daniel F. Waggoner, 2000. "Issues in hedging options positions," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q1, pages 24-39.
- Geczy, Christopher & Minton, Bernadette A & Schrand, Catherine, 1997. " Why Firms Use Currency Derivatives," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1323-54, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rba:rbardp:rdp2006-09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paula Drew)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.