Agglomeration externalities and technical efficiency in French pig production
The objective of the paper is to assess the effects of spatial agglomeration on the technical efficiency of French pig farms. We use a two-stage method with the first stage consisting of calculating the efficiency scores of pig activity with the non-parametric Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) method, and the second stage being a regression of these scores on agglomeration variables. Data consist of 936 French pig producers in 2004. Results suggest that these farms were as much affected by positive agglomeration externalities (in the form of knowledge spillovers due to the density of farms, and arising from their closeness to downstream markets) as any other businesses. Our analysis also sheds light on the specificity of the sector, namely that environment pressures can force pig farmers to be more efficient, an effect that may be counteracted when legal dispositions relating to manure spreading are too stringent.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.rennes.inra.fr/smart_eng/Working-Papers-SMART-LERECO|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philippe Le Goffe & Julien Salanié, 2005.
"Le droit d’épandage a-t-il un prix ? Mesure sur le marché foncier,"
Cahiers d'Economie et Sociologie Rurales,
INRA Department of Economics, vol. 77, pages 36-64.
- Le Goffe, Philippe & Salanié, Julien, 2005. "Le droit d’épandage a-t-il un prix ? Mesure sur le marché foncier," Cahiers d'Economie et de Sociologie Rurales (CESR), INRA (French National Institute for Agricultural Research), vol. 77.
- Rosenthal, Stuart S. & Strange, William C., 2004. "Evidence on the nature and sources of agglomeration economies," Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 49, pages 2119-2171 Elsevier.
- Antonio Ciccone & Robert E. Hall, 1995.
"Productivity and the density of economic activity,"
Economics Working Papers
120, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Stefan Bojnec & Laure Latruffe, 2009. "Determinants of technical efficiency of Slovenian farms," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 117-124.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Chih-Ching Yang & Ching-Kai Hsiao & Ming-Miin Yu, 2008. "Technical efficiency and impact of environmental regulations in farrow-to-finish swine production in Taiwan," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 39(1), pages 51-61, 07.
- Ragnar Tveteras & George E. Battese, 2006. "Agglomeration Externalities, Productivity, And Technical Inefficiency," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(4), pages 605-625.
- Henderson, J. Vernon, 2003.
"Marshall's scale economies,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 1-28, January.
- Henderson, J V, 1974.
"The Sizes and Types of Cities,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 64(4), pages 640-56, September.
- Isabelle Piot-Lepetit & Monique Moing, 2007. "Productivity and environmental regulation: the effect of the nitrates directive in the French pig sector," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 38(4), pages 433-446, December.
- J. Vernon Henderson, Zmarak Shalizi, and Anthony J. Venables, 2001.
"Geography and development,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 1(1), pages 81-105, January.
- Donald S. Siegel & Catherine J. Morrison Paul, 1999. "Scale Economies and Industry Agglomeration Externalities: A Dynamic Cost Function Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(1), pages 272-290, March.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2007. "Estimation and inference in two-stage, semi-parametric models of production processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 31-64, January.
- Luis R. Murillo-Zamorano, 2004. "Economic Efficiency and Frontier Techniques," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(1), pages 33-77, 02.
- Key, Nigel D. & McBride, William D., 2007. "The Changing Economics of U.S. Hog Production," Economic Research Report 6389, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Sophia Davidova & Laure Latruffe, 2007. "Relationships between Technical Efficiency and Financial Management for Czech Republic Farms," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 269-288, 06.
- Azzeddine Azzam & Cari S. Skinner, 2007. "Vertical Economies and the Structure of U.S. Hog Farms," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 55(3), pages 349-364, 09.
- Cohen, Jeffrey P. & Paul, Catherine J. Morrison, 2005. "Agglomeration economies and industry location decisions: the impacts of spatial and industrial spillovers," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 215-237, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rae:wpaper:200910. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christine Mesquida)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.