Patterns and Their Uses
Three major themes have emerged in the literature on patterns. These involve pattern recognition, pattern matching (do a set of observations match a particular pattern?) and pattern formation ( how does a pattern emerge?). The talk takes up each of these themes, presenting some economic examples of where a pattern has been of interest, how it has been measured (section 2), some issues in checking whether a given pattern holds (section 3), what theories might account for a particular pattern (section 4), and the predictability of patterns ( section5). Most attention is paid to judging macroeconomic models based on their ability to generate macroeconomic and financial patterns, and some simple tests are suggested to do this. Because sentiment and the origins of patterns are so inextricably linked in macroeconomics and .finance we will spend some time looking at the literature which deals with the interaction of series representing sentiment with those representing macroeconomic and financial outcomes.
|Date of creation:||08 Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 07 3138 5066|
Fax: 07 3138 1500
Web page: http://www.ncer.edu.au
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claudio Borio, 2012.
"The financial cycle and macroeconomics: What have we learnt?,"
BIS Working Papers
395, Bank for International Settlements.
- Borio, Claudio, 2014. "The financial cycle and macroeconomics: What have we learnt?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 182-198.
- Gerhard Bry & Charlotte Boschan, 1971. "Cyclical Analysis of Time Series: Selected Procedures and Computer Programs," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bry_71-1, June.
- Cosmin Ilut & Martin Schneider, 2012.
"Ambiguous Business Cycles,"
12-06, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Morris Davis & Jonathan Heathcote, 2004.
"Housing and the business cycle,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2004-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Morris A. Davis, 2010. "housing and the business cycle," The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Morris A. Davis & Jonathan Heathcote, 2005. "Housing And The Business Cycle," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(3), pages 751-784, 08.
- Candelon Bertrand & Dumitrescu Elena-Ivona & Hurlin Christophe, 2010.
"Currency Crises Early Warning Systems: why they should be Dynamic,"
047, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Candelon, Bertrand & Dumitrescu, Elena-Ivona & Hurlin, Christophe, 2014. "Currency crisis early warning systems: Why they should be dynamic," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1016-1029.
- Bertrand Candelon & Christophe Hurlin & Elena Dumitnescu, 2014. "Currency Crisis Early Warning Systems: Why They should be Dynamic," Working Papers 2014-161, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Bertrand Candelon & Elena-Ivona DUMITRESCU & Christophe HURLIN, 2010. "Currency Crises Early Warning Systems: why they should be Dynamic," Working Papers 399, Orleans Economic Laboratorys, University of Orleans.
- Matteo Iacoviello, 2002.
"House prices, borrowing constraints and monetary policy in the business cycle,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
542, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 06 Dec 2004.
- Matteo Iacoviello, 2005. "House Prices, Borrowing Constraints, and Monetary Policy in the Business Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(3), pages 739-764, June.
- Gerhard Bry & Charlotte Boschan, 1971. "Foreword to "Cyclical Analysis of Time Series: Selected Procedures and Computer Programs"," NBER Chapters, in: Cyclical Analysis of Time Series: Selected Procedures and Computer Programs, pages -1 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cover, James Peery, 1992. "Asymmetric Effects of Positive and Negative Money-Supply Shocks," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(4), pages 1261-82, November.
- Andrew W. Lo & Harry Mamaysky & Jiang Wang, 2000.
"Foundations of Technical Analysis: Computational Algorithms, Statistical Inference, and Empirical Implementation,"
NBER Working Papers
7613, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew W. Lo & Harry Mamaysky & Jiang Wang, 2000. "Foundations of Technical Analysis: Computational Algorithms, Statistical Inference, and Empirical Implementation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(4), pages 1705-1770, 08.
- Andrew Lo & Harry Mamaysky & Jiang Wang, 1999. "Foundations of Technical Analysis: Computational Algorithms, Statistical Inference, and Empirical Implementation," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 402, Society for Computational Economics.
- Hsieh Fushing & Shu-Chun Chen & Travis J. Berge & Oscar Jorda, 2010.
"A Chronology of International Business Cycles Through Non-parametric Decoding,"
1020, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Hsieh Fushing & Shu-Chun Chen & Travis J. Berge & Òscar Jordà, 2010. "A chronology of international business cycles through non-parametric decoding," Research Working Paper RWP 11-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Billio Monica & Casarin Roberto, 2011. "Beta Autoregressive Transition Markov-Switching Models for Business Cycle Analysis," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 15(4), pages 1-32, September.
- Harding, Don, 2008. "Detecting and forecasting business cycle turning points," MPRA Paper 33583, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fabio Canova & Alain Schlaepfer, 2012.
"Has the Euro-Mediterranean Partnership Affected Mediterranean Business Cycles?,"
548, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Fabio Canova & Alain Schlaepfer, 2011. "Has the Euro-Mediterranean partnership affected Mediterranean business cycles?," Economics Working Papers 1267, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised May 2012.
- Fruhwirth-Schnatter S., 2001. "Markov Chain Monte Carlo Estimation of Classical and Dynamic Switching and Mixture Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 194-209, March.
- Marco Terrones & M. Ayhan Kose & Stijn Claessens, 2011.
"How Do Business and Financial Cycles Interact?,"
IMF Working Papers
11/88, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qut:auncer:2013_8. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (School of Economics and Finance)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask School of Economics and Finance to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.