Econometric Analysis and Prediction of Recurrent Events
Economic events such as expansions and recessions in economic activity, bull and bear markets in stock prices and financial crises have long attracted substantial interest. In recent times there has been a focus upon predicting the events and constructing Early Warning Systems of them. Econometric analysis of such recurrent events is however in its infancy. One can represent the events as a set of binary indicators. However they are different to the binary random variables studied in micro-econometrics, being constructed from some (possibly) continuous data. The lecture discusses what difference this makes to their econometric analysis. It sets out a framework which deals with how the binary variables are constructed, what an appropriate estimation procedure would be, and the implications for the prediction of them. An example based on Turkish business cycles is used throughout the lecture.
|Date of creation:||11 Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 07 3138 5066|
Fax: 07 3138 1500
Web page: http://www.ncer.edu.au
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dungey, Mardi & Pagan, Adrian, 2000. "A Structural VAR Model of the Australian Economy," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 76(235), pages 321-42, December.
- Cashin, Paul & McDermott, C. John & Scott, Alasdair, 2002.
"Booms and slumps in world commodity prices,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 277-296, October.
- Paul Cashin & C John McDermott & Alasdair Scott, 1999. "Booms and slumps in world commodity prices," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series G99/8, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- C. John McDermott & Paul Cashin & Alasdair Scott, 1999. "Booms and Slumps in World Commodity Prices," IMF Working Papers 99/155, International Monetary Fund.
- Lestano & Jacobs, Jan P.A.M., 2004. "A comparison of currency crisis dating methods: East Asia 1970-2002," CCSO Working Papers 200412, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Shiu-Sheng Chen, 2007.
"Does Monetary Policy Have Asymmetric Effects on Stock Returns?,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(2-3), pages 667-688, 03.
- Shiu-Sheng Chen, 2005. "Does Monetary Policy Have Asymmetric Effects on Stock Returns?," Macroeconomics 0502001, EconWPA, revised 01 Feb 2005.
- Gerhard Bry & Charlotte Boschan, 1971. "Foreword to "Cyclical Analysis of Time Series: Selected Procedures and Computer Programs"," NBER Chapters, in: Cyclical Analysis of Time Series: Selected Procedures and Computer Programs, pages -1 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ana Beatriz C. Galvao, 2006. "Structural break threshold VARs for predicting US recessions using the spread," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(4), pages 463-487.
- Bordo, Michael & Hargreaves, David & Kida, Mizuho, 2011.
"Global shocks, economic growth and financial crises: 120 years of New Zealand experience,"
Financial History Review,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 331-355, December.
- Michael D. Bordo & David Hargreaves & Mizuho Kida, 2009. "Global shocks, economic growth and financial crises: 120 years of New Zealand experience," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2009/17, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Michael D. Bordo & David Hargreaves & Mizuho Kida, 2010. "Global shocks, economic growth and financial crises: 120 years of New Zealand experience," NBER Working Papers 16027, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Billio Monica & Casarin Roberto, 2011. "Beta Autoregressive Transition Markov-Switching Models for Business Cycle Analysis," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 15(4), pages 1-32, September.
- Bertrand Candelon & Elena-Ivona Dumitrescu & Christophe Hurlin, 2012. "How to evaluate an Early Warning System ?," Working Papers halshs-00450050, HAL.
- Michael J. Dueker & Katrin Wesche, 2005.
"Forecasting macro variables with a Qual VAR business cycle turning point index,"
2001-019, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Michael Dueker & Katrin Assenmacher-Wesche, 2010. "Forecasting macro variables with a Qual VAR business cycle turning point index," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(23), pages 2909-2920.
- Adrian R. Pagan & Kirill A. Sossounov, 2003. "A simple framework for analysing bull and bear markets," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 23-46.
- Graciela Laura Kaminsky, 1997.
"Leading Indicators of Currency Crises,"
IMF Working Papers
97/79, International Monetary Fund.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela & Lizondo, Saul, 1998. "Leading Indicators of Currency Crises," MPRA Paper 6981, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kaminsky, Graciela & Lizondo, Saul & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1997. "Leading indicators of currency crises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1852, The World Bank.
- Anderson, Heather M. & Vahid, Farshid, 2001.
"Predicting The Probability Of A Recession With Nonlinear Autoregressive Leading-Indicator Models,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(04), pages 482-505, September.
- Anderson, H.M. & Vahid, F., 2000. "Predicting the Probability of a Recession with Nonlinear Autoregressive Leading Indicator Models," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 3/00, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Sylvia Kaufmann, 2010.
"Dating and forecasting turning points by Bayesian clustering with dynamic structure: a suggestion with an application to Austrian data,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(2), pages 309-344.
- Sylvia Kaufmann, 2008. "Dating and forecasting turning points by Bayesian clustering with dynamic structure: A suggestion with an application to Austrian data," Working Papers 144, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Chiara Scotti & S.Boragan Aruoba & Francis X. Diebold & University of Maryland, 2006.
"Real-Time Measurement of Business Conditions,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2006
387, Society for Computational Economics.
- S. Boragan Aruoba & Francis X. Diebold & Chiara Scotti, 2008. "Real-Time Measurement of Business Conditions," NBER Working Papers 14349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- S. Boragan Aruoba & Francis X. Diebold & Chiara Scotti, 2008. "Real-time measurement of business conditions," Working Papers 08-19, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- S. Boragan Aruoba & Francis X. Diebold & Chiara Scotti, 2007. "Real-time measurement of business conditions," International Finance Discussion Papers 901, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- S. Boragan Aruoba & Francis X. Diebold & Chiara Scotti, 2007. "Real-Time Measurement of Business Conditions," PIER Working Paper Archive 07-028, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Luis A.V. Catão & Adrian Pagan, 2011.
"The Credit Channel and Monetary Transmission in Brazil and Chile: A Structured VAR Approach,"
Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,
in: Luis Felipe Céspedes & Roberto Chang & Diego Saravia (ed.), Monetary Policy under Financial Turbulence, edition 1, volume 16, chapter 5, pages 105-144
Central Bank of Chile.
- Luis CatÃ£o & Adrian Pagan, 2010. "The Credit Channel and Monetary Transmission in Brazil and Chile: A Structured VAR Approach," NCER Working Paper Series 53, National Centre for Econometric Research.
- Luis Catão; & Adrian Pagan, 2010. "The Credit Channel and Monetary Transmission in Brazil and Chile: A Structural VAR Approach," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 579, Central Bank of Chile.
- Bellégo, C. & Ferrara, L., 2009. "Forecasting Euro-area recessions using time-varying binary response models for financial," Working papers 259, Banque de France.
- Michael Dueker, 2005.
"Dynamic Forecasts of Qualitative Variables: A Qual VAR Model of U.S. Recessions,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 96-104, January.
- Michael J. Dueker, 2003. "Dynamic forecasts of qualitative variables: a Qual VAR model of U.S. recessions," Working Papers 2001-012, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Dueker(2005) JBES dynamic probit model," Statistical Software Components RTZ00049, Boston College Department of Economics.
- repec:dgr:rugccs:200412 is not listed on IDEAS
- Neftci, Salih N, 1984. "Are Economic Time Series Asymmetric over the Business Cycle?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(2), pages 307-28, April.
- Gerhard Bry & Charlotte Boschan, 1971. "Cyclical Analysis of Time Series: Selected Procedures and Computer Programs," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bry_71-1, March.
- Stijn Claessens & M. Ayhan Kose & Marco E. Terrones, 2010.
"Financial Cycles: What? How? When?,"
in: NBER International Seminar on Macroeconomics 2010, pages 303-343
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fruhwirth-Schnatter S., 2001. "Markov Chain Monte Carlo Estimation of Classical and Dynamic Switching and Mixture Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 194-209, March.
- Chib, Siddhartha, 1996. "Calculating posterior distributions and modal estimates in Markov mixture models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 79-97, November.
- Michael J. Dueker, 1997. "Strengthening the case for the yield curve as a predictor of U.S. recessions," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 41-51.
- Willard Long Thorp, 1926. "Prefatory Note," NBER Chapters, in: Business Annals, pages 101-106 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heikki Kauppi & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008. "Predicting U.S. Recessions with Dynamic Binary Response Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 90(4), pages 777-791, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qut:auncer:2011_6. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (School of Economics and Finance)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask School of Economics and Finance to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.