Basel III, BIS and Global Financial Governance
This paper analyzes the following aspects of global financial governance: • Proposed BASEL III reforms for more stringent capital requirements and their implications for the developing world in particular. • BIS proposals for better regulation of financial derivatives, including commodities futures, by moving away from OTC transactions towards organized exchanges. The Basel reforms and the BIS proposals for regulating the derivatives markets have many positive features. However, they have not been designed with the needs of DCs and LDCs in mind. The consequences of Basel I and II and proposed Basel III are analyzed from the perspective of the developing countries. It turns out that specific concerns of developing countries have not received adequate attention within the Basel Reform Initiatives and more can be and needs to be done.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Takuma Omori, 2002. ""Suffolk Banking System against the Crisis of 1837 - 39 ---the Spontaneous Development of "Lender of Last resort" by a commercial bank---" (in Japanese)," CIRJE J-Series CIRJE-J-79, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Roberto Chang & Andres Velasco, 1998.
"The Asian Liquidity Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
6796, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeremy C. Stein & Anil K. Kashyap, 2000. "What Do a Million Observations on Banks Say about the Transmission of Monetary Policy?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(3), pages 407-428, June.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1996.
"Golden Fetters: The Gold Standard and the Great Depression, 1919-1939,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780195101133.
- Barry Eichengreen, 1992. "Golden Fetters: The Gold Standard and the Great Depression, 1919-1939," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number eich92-1, July.
- Christopher M. Meissner, 2003.
"Exchange-Rate Regimes and International Trade: Evidence from the Classical Gold Standard Era,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 344-353, March.
- Lopez-Cordova, J. Ernesto & Meissner, Chris, 2000. "Exchange-Rate Regimes and International Trade: Evidence from the Classical Gold Standard Era," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt1b04r034, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- J. Ernesto L�pez-C�rdova and Chris Meissner., 2000. "Exchange-Rate Regimes and International Trade: Evidence from the Classical Gold Standard Era," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C00-118, University of California at Berkeley.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Aaron Tornell & Andres Velasco, 1996.
"Financial Crises in Emerging Markets: The Lessons from 1995,"
NBER Working Papers
5576, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Aaron Tornell & Andrés Velasco, 1996. "Financial Crises in Emerging Markets: The Lessons from 1995," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 27(1), pages 147-216.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Aaron Tornell & Andres Velasco, 1996. "Financial Crises in Emerging Markets: The Lessons from 1995," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1759, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Dubravko Mihaljek & Frank Packer, 2010. "Derivatives in emerging markets," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1991. "Debt Maturity Structure and Liquidity Risk," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(3), pages 709-37, August.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Christian Lundblad, 2001.
"Does Financial Liberalization Spur Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
8245, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999.
"The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems,"
14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000.
"Las crisis gemelas: las causas de los problemas bancarios y de balanza de pagos
[The twin crises: Te causes of banking and balance of payments problems]," MPRA Paper 13842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Domac, Ilker & Ferri, Giovanni, 1998. "The real impact of financial shocks : evidence from the Republic of Korea," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2010, The World Bank.
- Janine Berg & Lance Taylor, 2000. "External Liberalization, Economic Performance, and Social Policy," SCEPA working paper series. SCEPA's main areas of research are macroeconomic policy, inequality and poverty, and globalization. 2000-02, Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis (SCEPA), The New School.
- Akira Ariyoshi & Andrei Kirilenko & Inci Ã–tker & Bernard Laurens & Jorge IvÃ¡n Canales Kriljenko & Karl Friedrich Habermeier, 2000. "Capital Controls: Country Experiences with Their Use and Liberalization," IMF Occasional Papers 190, International Monetary Fund.
- Chang, Ha-Joon, 1998. "Korea: The misunderstood crisis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(8), pages 1555-1561, August.
- Lawrence H. Summers, 2000. "International Financial Crises: Causes, Prevention, and Cures," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 1-16, May.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Ash & Levine, Ross, 1996.
"Stock Market Development and Financial Intermediaries: Stylized Facts,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 291-321, May.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 1995. "Stock market development and financial intermediaries : stylized facts," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1462, The World Bank.
- Anne O. Krueger, 2000. "Conflicting Demands on the International Monetary Fund," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 38-42, May.
- Menzie D. Chinn, 1998.
"Before the Fall: Were East Asian Currencies Overvalued?,"
NBER Working Papers
6491, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chinn, Menzie D., 2000. "Before the fall: were East Asian currencies overvalued?," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 101-126, September.
- Mark Weisbrot & Jose Cordero & Luis Sandoval, 2009. "Empowering the IMF: Should Reform be a Requirement for Increasing the Fund's Resources?," CEPR Reports and Issue Briefs 2009-15, Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR).
- Adrian Blundell-Wignall & Paul Atkinson, 2010. "Thinking beyond Basel III: Necessary Solutions for Capital and Liquidity," OECD Journal: Financial Market Trends, OECD Publishing, vol. 2010(1), pages 9-33.
- Jonathan David Ostry & Atish R. Ghosh & Karl Friedrich Habermeier & Marcos Chamon & Mahvash Saeed Qureshi & Dennis B. S. Reinhardt, 2010. "Capital Inflows: The Role of Controls," IMF Staff Position Notes 2010/04, International Monetary Fund.
- Barry Eichengreen & Raul Razo-Garcia, 2011.
"How Reliable are De Facto Exchange Rate Regime Classifications?,"
NBER Working Papers
17318, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen & Raul Razo‐Garcia, 2013. "How Reliable Are De Facto Exchange Rate Regime Classifications?," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(3), pages 216-239, 07.
- Gallarotti, Guilio M., 1995. "The Anatomy of an International Monetary Regime: The Classical Gold Standard 1880-1914," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195089905.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:49513. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.