On the Welfare Cost of Inflation: The Case of Pakistan
In this study we quantified the welfare cost of inflation from the estimated long-run money demand functions for Pakistan for the period 1960-2007 using cointegration approach. The empirical results show that all the monetary aggregates are negatively related to the interest rate. The welfare gain of moving from positive inflation to zero inflation is approximately same under both money demand specifications but the behavior of the two models is different towards low interest rates. Moving from zero inflation to zero nominal interest rate has substantial gain under log-log form compared to the semi-log function. Compensating variation approach for the semi-log model gives higher welfare loss figures compared to the Bailey’s approach due to the quadratic nature of nominal interest rate in the Lucas (2000) welfare measure. However, the two approaches yield approximately similar the welfare cost of inflation for the log-log specification.
|Date of creation:||15 Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tower, Edward, 1971. "More on the Welfare Cost of Inflationary Finance," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 3(4), pages 850-60, November.
- Qayyum, Abdul, 2006. "Money, Inflation, and Growth in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 2055, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2006.
- repec:pid:journl:v:36:y:1997:i:3:p:275-291 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1991.
"The Welfare Costs of Moderate Inflations,"
90-04, Rochester, Business - General.
- Cooley, Thomas F & Hansen, Gary D, 1991. "The Welfare Costs of Moderate Inflations," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 23(3), pages 483-503, August.
- Thomas F. Cooley & Gary D. Hansen, 1991. "The welfare costs of moderate inflations," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 483-518.
- Rana Ejaz Ali Khan & Qazi Muhammad Adnan Hye, 2013.
"Financial liberalization and demand for money: a case of Pakistan,"
Journal of Developing Areas,
Tennessee State University, College of Business, vol. 47(2), pages 175-198, July-Dece.
- Khan, Rana Ejaz Ali & Hye, Qazi Muhammad Adnan, 2011. "Financial Liberalization And Demand For Money: A Case of Pakistan," MPRA Paper 34795, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Wright, Randall, 1989. "On Money as a Medium of Exchange," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 927-54, August.
- Martha López, 2001.
"Seigniorage And The Welfare Cost Of Inflation In Colombia,"
ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA,
BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE, vol. 19(39), pages 115-131, June.
- Martha López P., 2001. "Seigniorage and the Welfare Cost of Inflation in Colombia," Ensayos sobre Política Económica, Banco de la Republica de Colombia, vol. 19(39), pages 115-131, Junio.
- Martha López, 2000. "Seigniorage And The Welfare Cost Of Inflation In Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003488, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Martha López, . "Seigniorage and the Welfare Cost of Inflation in Colombia," Borradores de Economia 151, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Barro, Robert J., 1972.
"Inflationary Finance and the Welfare Cost of Inflation,"
3451393, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Barro, Robert J, 1972. "Inflationary Finance and the Welfare Cost of Inflation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(5), pages 978-1001, Sept.-Oct.
- Gillman, Max, 1993. "The welfare cost of inflation in a cash-in-advance economy with costly credit," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 97-115, February.
- Max Gillman, 1995. "Comparing Partial And General Equilibrium Estimates Of The Welfare Cost Of Inflation," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 13(4), pages 60-71, October.
- repec:pid:journl:v:39:y:2000:i:4:p:857-873 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:pid:journl:v:45:y:2006:i:2:p:185-202 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:pid:journl:v:40:y:2001:i:4:p:953-966 is not listed on IDEAS
- Qayyum, Abdul, 2005. "Modelling the Demand for Money in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 2057, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2005.
- Qayyum, Abdul, 1998. "Error Correction Model of the Demand for Money in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 2582, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 1998.
- Bali, Turan G., 2000. "U.S. money demand and the welfare cost of inflation in a currency-deposit model," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 233-258.
- Mohsin S. Khan & Axel Schimmelpfennig, 2006.
"Inflation in Pakistan; Money or Wheat?,"
IMF Working Papers
06/60, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:47549. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.