The Demand for Money and the Term Structure of Interest Rates in Pakistan
Using the term structure of interest rates, and treating measured income as a scale variable, the paper analyses the demand for money in Pakistan. It is found that replacement of simple average interest rate by the term structure of time deposit rates improves the estimates of money demand function. Money demand is found to be sensitive to changes in interest rates and income level. Furthermore, diseconomies of scale are observed in money holdings.
Volume (Year): 22 (1983)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O.Box 1091, Islamabad-44000|
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- AsHFAQUE H. KHAN, 1980. "The Demand for Money in Pakistan. Some Further Results," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 19(1), pages 25-50.
- Aghevli, Bijan B & Khan, Mohsin S, 1977. "Inflationary Finance and the Dynamics of Inflation: Indonesia, 1951-72," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 390-403, June.
- M.A. Akhtar, 1974. "The Demand for Money In Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 13(1), pages 40-54.
- William J. Baumol, 1952. "The Transactions Demand for Cash: An Inventory Theoretic Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 66(4), pages 545-556.
- Heller, H Robert & Khan, Mohsin S, 1979. "The Demand for Money and the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(1), pages 109-129, February.
- I. U. Mangla, 1979. "An Annual Money Demand Function for Pakistan. Some Further Results," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 18(1), pages 21-33.