Human capital in Qing China: economic determinism or a history of failed opportunities?
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- O Rourke, Kevin H. & Williamson, Jeffrey G., 2002. "When did globalisation begin?," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 23-50, April.
- Joerg Baten & Jan Zanden, 2008.
"Book production and the onset of modern economic growth,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 217-235, September.
- Jörg Baten & Jan Luiten van Zanden, 2007. "Book production and the onset of modern economic growth," Economics Working Papers 1030, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Bas van Leeuwen & Peter Földvári, 2013.
"Capital Accumulation and Growth in Central Europe, 1920-2006,"
Eastern European Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 51(5), pages 69-93, September.
- Bas van Leeuwen & Peter Földvari, 2011. "Capital accumulation and growth in Central Europe, 1920-2006," Working Papers 0023, Utrecht University, Centre for Global Economic History.
- Romer, Paul M, 1990. "Endogenous Technological Change," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 71-102, October.
- Baten, Joerg & Ma, Debin & Morgan, Stephen & Wang, Qing, 2010. "Evolution of living standards and human capital in China in the 18-20th centuries: Evidences from real wages, age-heaping, and anthropometrics," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 347-359, July.
- Debin Ma, 2004. "Growth, institutions and knowledge: a review and reflection on the historiography of 18th-20th century China," Australian Economic History Review, Economic History Society of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 44(3), pages 259-277, November.
- Van Leeuwen, Bas & van Leeuwen-Li, Jieli & Foldvari, Peter, 2011. "Regional human capital in Republican and New China: Its spread, quality and effects on economic growth," MPRA Paper 43582, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- van Zanden, Jan Luiten & van Leeuwen, Bas, 2012. "Persistent but not consistent: The growth of national income in Holland 1347–1807," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 119-130.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Shi Zhihong Yuping & Xuyi & Ni Yuping & Bas van Leeuwen, 2015. "Chinese National Income, ca. 1661-1933," Working Papers 0062, Utrecht University, Centre for Global Economic History.
- repec:bla:ozechr:v:57:y:2017:i:3:p:368-393 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gabriele Cappelli, 2016.
"Escaping from a human capital trap? Italy's regions and the move to centralized primary schooling, 1861–1936,"
European Review of Economic History,
Oxford University Press, vol. 20(1), pages 46-65.
- Gabriele Cappelli, 2013. "Escaping from a human capital trap? Italy’s regions and the move to centralized primary schooling, 1861 - 1936," Department of Economics University of Siena 688, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
More about this item
Keywordshuman capital; China; private returns; economic development;
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- N15 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations - - - Asia including Middle East
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-01-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2013-01-12 (Development)
- NEP-HIS-2013-01-12 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HRM-2013-01-12 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
- NEP-LAB-2013-01-12 (Labour Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:43525. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .