Democratization and civil war
We examine the impact of civil war on democratization. Using a theoretical bargaining model, we hypothesize that prolonged violence, war termination, the presence of natural resources, and international intervention influence democratization. We test these hypotheses using an unbalanced panel data set of 96 countries covering a 34-year period. We determine that civil war lowers democratization in the succeeding period. This finding appears to be robust to conditioning, different instrument sets, and the measurement of democracy. In addition, we observe evidence that external intervention increases democratization.
|Date of creation:||01 Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sachs, Jeffrey D. & Warner, Andrew M., 1999. "The big push, natural resource booms and growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 43-76, June.
- Perotti, Roberto, 1996. "Growth, Income Distribution, and Democracy: What the Data Say," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 149-87, June.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson & Pierre Yared, 2008.
"Income and Democracy,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 98(3), pages 808-42, June.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Johnson, Simon & Robinson, James A & Yared, Pierre, 2005. "Income and Democracy," CEPR Discussion Papers 5273, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James Robinson & Pierre Yared, 2005. "Income and Democracy," NBER Working Papers 11205, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levine, Ross & Renelt, David, 1991.
"A sensitivity analysis of cross-country growth regressions,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
609, The World Bank.
- Levine, Ross & Renelt, David, 1992. "A Sensitivity Analysis of Cross-Country Growth Regressions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 942-63, September.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/4315 is not listed on IDEAS
- Csordás, Stefan & Ludwig, Markus, 2011. "An empirical investigation of the determinants of democracy: Trade, aid and the neighbor effect," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 110(3), pages 235-237, March.
- Lisa Chauvet & Paul Collier, 2008.
"Elections and Economic Policy in Developing Countries,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2008-34, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Lisa Chauvet & Paul Collier, 2009. "Elections and economic policy in developing countries," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 24, pages 509-550, 07.
- Paul Collier & Lisa Chauvet, 2008. "Elections and Economic Policy in Developing Countries," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2008-34, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Lisa Chauvet & Paul Collier, 2008. "Elections and Economic Policy in Developing Countries," Working Papers DT/2008/11, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Sachs, Jeffrey D. & Warner, Andrew M., 2001. "The curse of natural resources," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 827-838, May.
- Heid, Benedikt & Langer, Julian & Larch, Mario, 2012.
"Income and democracy: Evidence from system GMM estimates,"
Elsevier, vol. 116(2), pages 166-169.
- Benedikt Heid & Julian Langer & Mario Larch, 2011. "Income and democracy:Evidence from system GMM estimates," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 118, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Michael McBride & Gary Milante & Stergios Skaperdas, 2011.
"Peace and War With Endogenous State Capacity,"
Journal of Conflict Resolution,
Peace Science Society (International), vol. 55(3), pages 446-468, June.
- Paul Collier & Anke Hoeffler, 2004.
"Greed and Grievance in Civil War,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Mehmet Gurses, 2011. "Elites, Oil, and Democratization: A Survival Analysis," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 92(1), pages 164-184, 03.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Mehmet Gurses & T. David Mason, 2008. "Democracy Out of Anarchy: The Prospects for Post-Civil-War Democracy," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 89(2), pages 315-336.
- Bruce Cronin, 2010. "Be careful what you wish for: War aims and the construction of postwar political orders," Journal of Peace Research, Peace Research Institute Oslo, vol. 47(6), pages 791-801, November.
- Dawn Brancati & Jack L. Snyder, 2011. "Rushing to the Polls: The Causes of Premature Postconflict Elections," Journal of Conflict Resolution, Peace Science Society (International), vol. 55(3), pages 469-492, June.
- Collier, Paul, 2008. "The Bottom Billion: Why the Poorest Countries are Failing and What Can Be Done About It," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195374636.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson & Pierre Yared, 2005.
"From Education to Democracy?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(2), pages 44-49, May.
- Silje Aslaksen, 2010. "Oil and democracy: More than a cross-country correlation?," Journal of Peace Research, Peace Research Institute Oslo, vol. 47(4), pages 421-431, July.
- B. Peter Rosendorff, 2001. "Choosing Democracy," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 1-29, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42460. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.