From competitive advantage to dynamic capabilities: small and medium-sized multinationals in Asia
Italian firms have recently engaged in direct investment abroad through the establishment of production facilities in China and India. Using data gathered from interviews conducted in those countries in 2009 with 16 Italian predominantly small and medium-sized firms, this article explores: the motivations behind Italian parent companies’ decisions to create subsidiaries in Asia; relations between the newly established production facilities and their local suppliers and markets; any subsequent organizational adaptations; and the cultural and administrative difficulties the enterprises have encountered. The article provides a novel perspective on how predominantly small and medium-sized manufacturing firms achieve cost and differentiation advantages by leveraging their dynamic capabilities.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Iuzzolino Giovanni & Menon Carlo, 2011. "Industrial Agglomeration in the North East: Signals of Discontinuity in Two Thousand Years," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 4, pages 615-654.
- John Humphrey & Hubert Schmitz, 2008. "Inter-firm relationships in global value chains: trends in chain governance and their policy implications," International Journal of Technological Learning, Innovation and Development, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(3), pages 258-282.
- Tattara, Giuseppe, 2005.
"Il Diverso Modo In Cui Le Piccole Imprese Misurano Il Loro Successo
[How Do Small Firms Growth?]," MPRA Paper 10783, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tattara, Giuseppe, 2005. "Il diverso modo in cui le piccole imprese misurano il loro successo," MPRA Paper 24, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Richard N. Langlois, 2003.
"The vanishing hand: the changing dynamics of industrial capitalism,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 12(2), pages 351-385, April.
- Richard N. Langlois, 2001. "The Vanishing Hand: the Changing Dynamics of Industrial Capitalism," Economic History 0110001, EconWPA.
- Richard N. Langlois, 2002. "The Vanishing Hand: the Changing Dynamics of Industrial Capitalism," Working papers 2002-21, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Tattara, Giuseppe, 2010.
"Choosing between foreign investment and subcontracting: Strategies of Italian firms in Romania,"
23787, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tattara, Giuseppe, 2011. "Choosing between foreign investment and subcontracting: Strategies of Italian firms in Romania," MPRA Paper 29174, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jan Johanson & Jan-Erik Vahlne, 2009. "The Uppsala internationalization process model revisited: From liability of foreignness to liability of outsidership," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 40(9), pages 1411-1431, December.
- Yueh, Linda, 2009.
Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 778-786, April.
- Linda Yueh, 2007. "China`s Entrepreneurs," Economics Series Working Papers 324, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Linda Yueh, 2008. "China's Entrepreneurs," CentrePiece - The Magazine for Economic Performance 253, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Kaplinsky, Raphael & Terheggen, Anne & Tijaja, Julia, 2010. "What happens when the market shifts to China ? the Gabon timber and Thai cassava value chains," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5206, The World Bank.
- Alan M Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 2004.
"A perspective on regional and global strategies of multinational enterprises,"
Journal of International Business Studies,
Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 35(1), pages 3-18, January.
- Alan M. Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 2004. "A Perspective on Regional and Global Strategies of Multinational Enterprises," Working Papers 2004-19, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Danis, Wade M. & De Clercq, Dirk & Petricevic, Olga, 2011. "Are social networks more important for new business activity in emerging than developed economies? An empirical extension," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 394-408, August.
- Françoise Lemoine & Deniz Ünal-Kesenci, 2002. "China's Outward-Oriented Industries: a Source of Technological Dependency or a Means to Catch-Up?," La Lettre du CEPII, CEPII research center, issue 213.
- Hatani, Faith, 2009. "The logic of spillover interception: The impact of global supply chains in China," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 158-166, April.
- Jan Johanson & Jan-Erik Vahlne, 1977. "The Internationalization Process of the Firm—A Model of Knowledge Development and Increasing Foreign Market Commitments," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 8(1), pages 23-32, March.
- Jamuna Agarwal, 1980. "Determinants of foreign direct investment: A survey," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 116(4), pages 739-773, December.
- Martha Prevezer, 2008. "The emergence of markets and capabilities, dynamic transaction costs and institutions: effects on organizational choices in offshored and outsourced business services in China," Working Papers 25, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Business and Management, Centre for Globalisation Research.
- Kimura, Fukunari & Ando, Mitsuyo, 2005. "Two-dimensional fragmentation in East Asia: Conceptual framework and empirics," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 317-348.
- Giuseppe Tattara & Desirèe Campagnol, 2008.
"Delocalizzazione produttiva e ammortizzatori sociali. La Tessitura Monti Spa,"
ECONOMIA E SOCIETÀ REGIONALE,
FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2008(2).
- Tattara, Giuseppe & Campagnol, Desirée, 2008.
"Delocalizzazione Produttiva E Ammortizzatori Sociali. La Tessitura Monti Spa
[Internationalization and redundancies: the case of Monti Textile Group Spa]," MPRA Paper 10357, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tattara, Giuseppe & Campagnol, Desirée, 2008. "Delocalizzazione Produttiva E Ammortizzatori Sociali. La Tessitura Monti Spa
- Jun Yeup Kim & Le-Yin Zhang, 2008. "Formation of Foreign Direct Investment Clustering-A New Path to Local Economic Development? The Case of Qingdao," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 265-280.
- Liza Jabbour, 2012.
"‘Slicing the Value Chain’ Internationally: Empirical Evidence on the Offshoring Strategy by French Firms,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(11), pages 1417-1447, November.
- Liza Jabbour, "undated". "“Slicing the Value Chain” Internationally: Empirical Evidence on the Offshoring Strategy by French Firms," Discussion Papers 08/02, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Klaus E. Meyer & Ram Mudambi & Rajneesh Narula, 2011. "Multinational Enterprises and Local Contexts: The Opportunities and Challenges of Multiple Embeddedness," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(2), pages 235-252, March.
- Saul Estrin & Martha Prevezer, 2010. "The Role of Informal Institutions in Corporate Governance: Brazil, Russia, India and China Compared," Working Papers 31, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Business and Management, Centre for Globalisation Research.
- Sea-Jin Chang, 1998. "Industry and Regional Patterns in Sequential Foreign Market Entry," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(6), pages 797-821, November.
- Philip McCann & Ram Mudambi, 2004. "The Location Behavior of the Multinational Enterprise: Some Analytical Issues," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 491-524.
- Paolo regstdtanello & Giuseppe Tattara, 2011. "Industrial Clusters and the Governance of the Global Value Chain: The Romania-Veneto Network in Footwear and Clothing," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(2), pages 187-203.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:39364. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.