Flexible Strategy for Small and Medium-sized Multinationals in Asia
Italian firms have recently engaged in direct investment abroad through the establishment of production facilities in China and India. Using data gathered from interviews conducted in those countries in 2009 with 16 Italian predominantly small and medium-sized firms, this article explores: the motivations behind Italian parent companies� decisions to create subsidiaries in Asia; relations between the newly established production facilities and their local suppliers and markets; any subsequent organizational adaptations; and the cultural and administrative difficulties the enterprises have encountered. The article provides a novel perspective on how predominantly small and medium-sized manufacturing firms achieve cost and differentiation advantages by leveraging their dynamic capabilities.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cannaregio, S. Giobbe no 873 , 30121 Venezia|
Web page: http://www.unive.it/dip.economia
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yueh, Linda, 2009.
Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 778-786, April.
- Linda Yueh, 2008. "China's Entrepreneurs," CentrePiece - The Magazine for Economic Performance 253, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Linda Yueh, 2007. "China`s Entrepreneurs," Economics Series Working Papers 324, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Saul Estrin & Martha Prevezer, 2010. "The Role of Informal Institutions in Corporate Governance: Brazil, Russia, India and China Compared," Working Papers 31, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Business and Management, Centre for Globalisation Research.
- Tattara, Giuseppe & Campagnol, Desirée, 2008.
"Delocalizzazione Produttiva E Ammortizzatori Sociali. La Tessitura Monti Spa
[Internationalization and redundancies: the case of Monti Textile Group Spa]," MPRA Paper 10357, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Giuseppe Tattara & Desirèe Campagnol, 2008. "Delocalizzazione produttiva e ammortizzatori sociali. La Tessitura Monti Spa," ECONOMIA E SOCIETÀ REGIONALE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2008(2).
- Jamuna Agarwal, 1980. "Determinants of foreign direct investment: A survey," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 116(4), pages 739-773, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ven:wpaper:2012_06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geraldine Ludbrook)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.