The Impact of a Minimum Wage Increase on Employment, Wages and Expenditures of Low-Wage Workers in Vietnam
This study provides empirical evidence on the impact of a minimum wage increase on employment, wages, and expenditures of workers in the formal sector who have wages below the minimum level in Vietnam. Using the difference-in-differences with propensity score matching and Vietnam Household Living Standard Surveys 2004 and 2006, the paper finds that the minimum wage increase reduced employment of low-wage workers in the formal sector. However, workers who lost formal sector jobs were able to find jobs in the informal sector. The effect of the minimum wage increase on wages and expenditures of workers is not statistically significant.
|Date of creation:||20 Dec 2010|
|Date of revision:||15 Aug 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michele Campolieti & Tony Fang & Morley Gunderson, 2005. "Minimum wage impacts on youth employment transitions, 1993-1999," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(1), pages 81-104, February.
- Richard Dickens & Stephen Machin & Alan Manning & David Metcalf & Jonathan Wadsworth & S Woodland, 1994.
"The Effect of Minimum Wages on UK Agriculture,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0204, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Bazen, Stephen, 2000. "The Impact of the Regulation of Low Wages on Inequality and Labour-Market Adjustment: A Comparative Analysis," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(1), pages 57-69, Spring.
- David Card & Alan B. Krueger, 1993.
"Minimum Wages and Employment: A Case Study of the Fast Food Industry in New Jersey and Pennsylvania,"
NBER Working Papers
4509, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Card, David & Krueger, Alan B, 1994. "Minimum Wages and Employment: A Case Study of the Fast-Food Industry in New Jersey and Pennsylvania," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 772-93, September.
- Ann Harrison & Jason Scorse, 2004. "Moving Up or Moving Out? Anti-Sweatshop Activists and Labor Market Outcomes," NBER Working Papers 10492, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brown, Charles & Gilroy, Curtis & Kohen, Andrew, 1982. "The Effect of the Minimum Wage on Employment and Unemployment," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 20(2), pages 487-528, June.
- John M. Abowd & Francis Kramarz & David Margolis & Thomas Philippon, 1999.
"Minimum Wages and Employment in France and the United States,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- John M. Abowd & Francis Kramarz & David N. Margolis, 1999. "Minimum Wages and Employment in France and the United States," NBER Working Papers 6996, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abowd, John M & Kramarz, Francis & Margolis, David N, 1999. "Minimum Wages and Employment in France and the United States," CEPR Discussion Papers 2159, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Abowd, J.M. & Kramarz, F. & Margolis, D.N., 1998. "Minimum Wages and Employment in France and the United States," Papiers du Laboratoire de MicroÃ©conomie AppliquÃ©e 1998-12, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Rama, Martin, 1996.
"The consequences of doubling the minimum wage : the case of Indonesia,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1643, The World Bank.
- MartÃn Rama, 2001. "The Consequences of Doubling the Minimum Wage: The Case of Indonesia," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 54(4), pages 864-881, July.
- repec:fth:prinin:298 is not listed on IDEAS
- Katz, L.F. & Krueger, A.B., 1992.
"The Effect of the Minimum Wage on the Fast Food Industry,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1584, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Alan B. Krueger, 1992. "The Effect of the Minimum Wage on the Fast-Food Industry," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 46(1), pages 6-21, October.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Alan B. Krueger, 1992. "The Effect of the Minimum Wage on the Fast Food Industry," NBER Working Papers 3997, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sara Lemos, 2004. "Minimum Wage Policy and Employment Effects: Evidence from Brazil," ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, vol. 0(Fall 2004), pages 219-266, August.
- Wilbert van der Klaauw, 2002. "Estimating the Effect of Financial Aid Offers on College Enrollment: A Regression-Discontinuity Approach," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(4), pages 1249-1287, November.
- Neumark, David & Wascher, William L., 2007.
"Minimum Wages and Employment,"
Foundations and Trends(R) in Microeconomics,
now publishers, vol. 3(1–2), pages 1-182, March.
- Burkhauser, Richard V & Couch, Kenneth A & Wittenburg, David C, 2000. "A Reassessment of the New Economics of the Minimum Wage Literature with Monthly Data from the Current Population Survey," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(4), pages 653-80, October.
- Richard Dickens & Stephen Machin & Alan Manning, 1994.
"The Effects of Minimum Wages on Employment: Theory and Evidence from Britain,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0183, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Dickens, Richard & Machin, Stephen & Manning, Alan, 1999. "The Effects of Minimum Wages on Employment: Theory and Evidence from Britain," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(1), pages 1-22, January.
- David Neumark & William Wascher, 2002. "State-Level Estimates of Minimum Wage Effects: New Evidence and Interpretations from Disequilibrium Methods," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 37(1), pages 35-62.
- T. H. Gindling & Katherine Terrell, 2004.
"The Effects of Multiple Minimum Wages Throughout the Labor Market,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
2004-701, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Gindling, T. H. & Terrell, Katherine, 2004. "The Effects of Multiple Minimum Wages Throughout the Labor Market," IZA Discussion Papers 1159, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jeffrey Smith & Petra Todd, 2003.
"Does Matching Overcome Lalonde's Critique of Nonexperimental Estimators?,"
University of Western Ontario, Centre for Human Capital and Productivity (CHCP) Working Papers
20035, University of Western Ontario, Centre for Human Capital and Productivity (CHCP).
- A. Smith, Jeffrey & E. Todd, Petra, 2005. "Does matching overcome LaLonde's critique of nonexperimental estimators?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 125(1-2), pages 305-353.
- Neumark, David & Wascher, William, 2003. "Minimum wages and skill acquisition: another look at schooling effects," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-10, February.
- Hahn, Jinyong & Todd, Petra & Van der Klaauw, Wilbert, 2001. "Identification and Estimation of Treatment Effects with a Regression-Discontinuity Design," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(1), pages 201-09, January.
- David Card, 1992. "Do Minimum Wages Reduce Employment? A Case Study of California, 1987â€“89," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 46(1), pages 38-54, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:36751. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.