The Financial Development and Economic Growth Nexus for Turkey
This study investigates the validity of the demand-pulling and the supply-leading hypotheses using annual data from 1968 to 2005. The bounds testing approach to cointegration is conducted to establish the existence of a long-run relationship between financial development and economic growth. An augmented form of Granger causality analysis is implemented to identify the direction of causality among the variables both in the short-run and the long-run. The empirical findings suggest uni-directional causation from financial development to economic growth.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kremers, Jeroen J M & Ericsson, Neil R & Dolado, Juan J, 1992.
"The Power of Cointegration Tests,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 325-48, August.
- Jahangir Aziz & Christoph Duenwald, 2002. "Growth-Financial Intermediation Nexus in China," IMF Working Papers 02/194, International Monetary Fund.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Panicos O. Demetriades & Philip Arestis, 1996.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Assessing the Evidence,"
Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001)
96/16, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Arestis, Philip & Demetriades, Panicos O, 1997. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: Assessing the Evidence," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(442), pages 783-99, May.
- James B. Ang & Warwick J. McKibbin, 2005.
"Financial Liberalization, Financial Sector Development And Growth: Evidence From Malaysia,"
CAMA Working Papers
2005-05, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Ang, James B. & McKibbin, Warwick J., 2007. "Financial liberalization, financial sector development and growth: Evidence from Malaysia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 215-233, September.
- King, Robert G. & Levine, Ross, 1993.
"Finance and growth : Schumpeter might be right,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1083, The World Bank.
- Craig S. Hakkio & Mark Rush, 1990.
"Cointegration: how short is the long run?,"
Research Working Paper
90-08, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Us, Vuslat, 2004. "Inflation dynamics and monetary policy strategy: some prospects for the Turkish economy," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(8-9), pages 1003-1013, December.
- Bencivenga, V.R. & Smith, B.D., 1988.
"Financial Intermediation And Endogenous Growth,"
RCER Working Papers
124, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- M. Bahmani-Oskooee & Gour Goswami, 2003. "A disaggregated approach to test the J-Curve phenomenon: Japan versus her major trading partners," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer;Academy of Economics and Finance, vol. 27(1), pages 102-113, March.
- Oguz Esen, 2000. "Financial Openness in Turkey," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 5-23.
- Mah, Jai S., 2000. "An empirical examination of the disaggregated import demand of Korea--the case of information technology products," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 237-244.
- Tsangyao Chang & Steven Caudill, 2005. "Financial development and economic growth: the case of Taiwan," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(12), pages 1329-1335.
- Shandre M. Thangavelu & Ang Beng Jiunn & James, 2004. "Financial development and economic growth in Australia: An empirical analysis," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 247-260, 05.
- Harb, Nasri & Al-Awad, Mouawiya, 2005.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth in the Middle East,"
13605, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mouawiya Al-Awad & Nasri Harb, 2005. "Financial development and economic growth in the Middle East," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(15), pages 1041-1051.
- Cem Akyurek, 2006. "The Turkish Crisis of 2001: A Classic?," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 42(1), pages 5-32, February.
- Liang, Qi & Teng, Jian-Zhou, 2006. "Financial development and economic growth: Evidence from China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 395-411.
- Demetriades, Panicos O. & Hussein, Khaled A., 1996.
"Does financial development cause economic growth? Time-series evidence from 16 countries,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 387-411, December.
- Panicos O. Demetriades & Khaled A.Hussein, 1995. "Does Financial Development Cause Economic Growth? Time-Series Evidence from 16 Countries," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 95/13, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Jordan Shan, 2005. "Does financial development 'lead' economic growth? A vector auto-regression appraisal," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(12), pages 1353-1367.
- Roger Atindehou & Jean Pierre Gueyie & Edoh Kossi Amenounve, 2005. "Financial intermediation and economic growth: evidence from Western Africa," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(11), pages 777-790.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Prabir Bhattacharya & M. N. Sivasubramanian, 2003. "Financial development and economic growth in India: 1970-1971 to 1998-1999," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(12), pages 925-929.
- Fase, M. M. G. & Abma, R. C. N., 2003. "Financial environment and economic growth in selected Asian countries," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 11-21, February.
- Shan, Jordan Z & Morris, Alan G & Sun, Fiona, 2001. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: An Egg-and-Chicken Problem?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 443-54, August.
- Abu-Bader, Suleiman & Abu-Qarn, Aamer S., 2008. "Financial development and economic growth: The Egyptian experience," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 887-898.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:3566. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.