Economic growth and financial development in Turkey: new evidence
We examine the link between financial development and economic growth in Turkey for the period 1991 to 2005 using quarterly data. We use relatively new time series techniques that are less prone to bias to examine this relationship. We also construct a comprehensive financial development index using principal component analysis. When we control for the possible effects of inflation and monetary and fiscal policies on monetary aggregates and the economic growth rate, we fail to find any long-run causality in either direction. The result is also confirmed by generalized impulse response analysis.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 18 (2011)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alif Darrat, 1999. "Are Financial Deepening and Economic Growth Causally Related? Another Look at the Evidence," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 19-35.
- Hung, Fu-Sheng, 2003. "Inflation, financial development, and economic growth," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 45-67.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Demetriades, Panicos O. & Hussein, Khaled A., 1996.
"Does financial development cause economic growth? Time-series evidence from 16 countries,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 387-411, December.
- Panicos O. Demetriades & Khaled A.Hussein, 1995. "Does Financial Development Cause Economic Growth? Time-Series Evidence from 16 Countries," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 95/13, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Ansari, M. I., 2002. "Impact of financial development, money, and public spending on Malaysian national income: an econometric study," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 72-93.
- Ang, James B. & McKibbin, Warwick J., 2007. "Financial liberalization, financial sector development and growth: Evidence from Malaysia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 215-233, September.
- James B. Ang & Warwick J. McKibbin, 2005. "Financial Liberalization, Financial Sector Development And Growth: Evidence From Malaysia," CAMA Working Papers 2005-05, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Luintel, Kul B. & Khan, Mosahid, 1999. "A quantitative reassessment of the finance-growth nexus: evidence from a multivariate VAR," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 381-405, December.
- Koop, Gary & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1996. "Impulse response analysis in nonlinear multivariate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 119-147, September.
- Mouawiya Al-Awad & Nasri Harb, 2005. "Financial development and economic growth in the Middle East," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(15), pages 1041-1051.
- Harb, Nasri & Al-Awad, Mouawiya, 2005. "Financial Development and Economic Growth in the Middle East," MPRA Paper 13605, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Deren Unalmis, 2002. "The Causality Between Financial Development and Economic Growth : The Case of Turkey," Working Papers 0203, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Tsangyao Chang & Steven Caudill, 2005. "Financial development and economic growth: the case of Taiwan," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(12), pages 1329-1335. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:18:y:2011:i:6:p:595-600. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.