Economic growth and financial development in Turkey: new evidence
We examine the link between financial development and economic growth in Turkey for the period 1991 to 2005 using quarterly data. We use relatively new time series techniques that are less prone to bias to examine this relationship. We also construct a comprehensive financial development index using principal component analysis. When we control for the possible effects of inflation and monetary and fiscal policies on monetary aggregates and the economic growth rate, we fail to find any long-run causality in either direction. The result is also confirmed by generalized impulse response analysis.
Volume (Year): 18 (2011)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tsangyao Chang & Steven Caudill, 2005. "Financial development and economic growth: the case of Taiwan," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(12), pages 13291335-13.
- Luintel, Kul B. & Khan, Mosahid, 1999. "A quantitative reassessment of the finance-growth nexus: evidence from a multivariate VAR," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 381-405, December.
- Hung, Fu-Sheng, 2003. "Inflation, financial development, and economic growth," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 45-67.
- Panicos O. Demetriades & Khaled A.Hussein, 1995.
"Does Financial Development Cause Economic Growth? Time-Series Evidence from 16 Countries,"
Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001)
95/13, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Demetriades, Panicos O. & Hussein, Khaled A., 1996. "Does financial development cause economic growth? Time-series evidence from 16 countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 387-411, December.
- Mouawiya Al-Awad & Nasri Harb, 2005.
"Financial development and economic growth in the Middle East,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(15), pages 1041-1051.
- Harb, Nasri & Al-Awad, Mouawiya, 2005. "Financial Development and Economic Growth in the Middle East," MPRA Paper 13605, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- James B. Ang & Warwick J. McKibbin, 2005.
"Financial Liberalization, Financial Sector Development And Growth: Evidence From Malaysia,"
CAMA Working Papers
2005-05, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Ang, James B. & McKibbin, Warwick J., 2007. "Financial liberalization, financial sector development and growth: Evidence from Malaysia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 215-233, September.
- Ansari, M. I., 2002. "Impact of financial development, money, and public spending on Malaysian national income: an econometric study," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 72-93.
- Deren Unalmis, 2002. "The Causality Between Financial Development and Economic Growth : The Case of Turkey," Working Papers 0203, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Alif Darrat, 1999. "Are Financial Deepening and Economic Growth Causally Related? Another Look at the Evidence," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 19-35.
- Koop, Gary & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1996. "Impulse response analysis in nonlinear multivariate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 119-147, September.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:18:y:2011:i:6:p:595-600. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.