Does financial development 'lead' economic growth? A vector auto-regression appraisal
Using a Vector Autoregression (VAR) approach, several hypotheses are re-examined suggested by the literature concerning the relationship between financial development and economic growth, investment and productivity. The models use quarterly time-series data from ten OECD countries and China. Innovation accounting or variance decomposition and impulse response function analysis is applied to examine interrelationships between variables in the VAR system and, therefore, differs from the more usual Granger causality approach. In particular, it examines the relationship between financial development proxied by total credit. At best, weak support is found for the hypothesis that financial development 'leads' economic growth.
Volume (Year): 37 (2005)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, .
"Financial Dependence and Growth,"
CRSP working papers
344, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Levine, Ross, 1996.
"Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1678, The World Bank.
- Ross Levine, 1997. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Philip Arestis & Panicos O. Demetriades & Kul B. Luintel, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: the Role of Stock Markets,"
Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001)
97/05, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Arestis, Philip & Demetriades, Panicos O & Luintel, Kul B, 2001. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: The Role of Stock Markets," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(1), pages 16-41, February.
- King, Robert G & Levine, Ross, 1993.
"Finance and Growth: Schumpeter Might Be Right,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 717-37, August.
- Philip Arestis & Panicos O. Demetriades & Bassam Fattouh & Kostas Mouratidis, 2002.
"The Impact of Financial Liberalisation Policies on Financial Development Evidence from Developing Economies,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
02/1, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Arestis, Philip, et al, 2002. "The Impact of Financial Liberalization Policies on Financial Development: Evidence from Developing Economies," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(2), pages 109-21, April.
- Jordan Shan & Fiona Sun, 1998. "On the export-led growth hypothesis: the econometric evidence from China," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(8), pages 1055-1065.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:37:y:2005:i:12:p:1353-1367. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.